2024 Copa America

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

Every stadium has a capacity of 60k+ except the two stadiums with around 20k that will only be used for the 4 games between teams from pots 3 and 4 :sigh:
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

amenina wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 05:00 Group fixtures

Seeded teams
A1: Argentina
B1: Mexico
C1: USA
D1: Brazil

The other positions will follow the pots, i.e., pot 2 teams will be in positions 2, etc.

They used to draw positions for Copa America.

Confederations seem to be phasing out that practice, CAF did and now CONMEBOL have.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 09:55

Seeded teams

The other positions will follow the pots, i.e., pot 2 teams will be in positions 2, etc.

Confederations seem to be phasing out that practice, CAF did and now CONMEBOL have.
They did draw out the group positions for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup draw though.
amenina

Post by amenina »

TommyChat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 09:30 Every stadium has a capacity of 60k+ except the two stadiums with around 20k that will only be used for the 4 games between teams from pots 3 and 4 :sigh:
Well, Kansas City is hosting two group stage matches, but they are hosted by two different stadiums. The "bigger" match (involving USA) is hosted at the American football stadium (76k capacity), while the "smaller" match (without any seeded team) is hosted at the soccer-specific stadium (18k capacity).

Atlanta is hosting the opening match (involving Argentina) and another "big" group stage match (involving USA).

Los Angeles (Inglewood) is hosting two "big" group stage matches (one involving Mexico, one involving Brazil).

Miami (Miami Gardens), who will host the final, New York (East Rutherford), who will host a semi-final, and Dallas (Arlington), Houston, Phoenix (Glendale), and Las Vegas are hosting three matches: one "big" group stage match (involving a seeded team), one "small" group stage match (no seeded team), and a knockout match. San Francisco (Santa Clara) is also hosting one "big" group stage match and one "small" group stage match, without any knockout match.

Charlotte is hosting two knockout matches, a semi-final and the third place match), without any group stage match.

Finally, Orlando and Austin are each hosting two "small" group stage matches, involving teams from Pot 3 and 4.
Jackson Harrison

amenina wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 13:40
Jackson Harrison wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 09:55

Seeded teams

They did draw out the group positions for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup draw though.
Inconsistent. UEFA are the only confederation consistent on that front!
amenina

Post by amenina »

I think the draw ceremony is ongoing (not the actual draw itself), but I cannot find an official video stream.

Anyway, here is the mascot.

https://copaamerica.com/news/capitan-se ... 4/?lang=es

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

amenina wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 02:00 I think the draw ceremony is ongoing (not the actual draw itself), but I cannot find an official video stream.

Anyway, here is the mascot.

https://copaamerica.com/news/capitan-se ... 4/?lang=es

The cartoon version looks a lot better than the mascot suit.

What a mess. Looks so cheaply made. If that was a plush toy I'd think it was a cheap knockoff.
amenina

Post by amenina »

COPA AMERICA 2024 DRAW:

GROUP A:
🇦🇷 Argentina
🇵🇪 Peru
🇨🇱 Chile
🇨🇦 Canada/🇹🇹 Trinidad & Tobago

GROUP B:
🇲🇽 Mexico
🇪🇨 Ecuador
🇻🇪 Venezuela
🇯🇲 Jamaica

GROUP C:
🇺🇸 USA
🇺🇾 Uruguay
🇵🇦 Panama
🇧🇴 Bolivia

GROUP D:
🇧🇷 Brazil
🇨🇴 Colombia
🇵🇾 Paraguay
🇨🇷 Costa Rica/🇭🇳 Honduras
amenina

Post by amenina »

LOL, did CONMEBOL just post the wrong draw results on their own twitter feed (they have deleted it)? I thought CAF was bad, but CONMEBOL have out-CAF CAF….

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GAyjD_3WQAA ... name=small

Well they have posted the correct draw results: https://x.com/copaamerica/status/173294 ... 51692?s=46

amenina

Post by amenina »

Full schedule: https://cdn.conmebol.com/wp-content/upl ... .07-ES.pdf

Group stage fixtures

Last edited by amenina on Fri Dec 08, 2023 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
amenina

Post by amenina »

amenina wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 02:52 LOL, did CONMEBOL just post the wrong draw results on their own twitter feed (they have deleted it)? I thought CAF was bad, but CONMEBOL have out-CAF CAF….

Well they have posted the correct draw results: https://x.com/copaamerica/status/173294 ... 51692?s=46

I did not watch the draw, but apparently the mistake was due to a error when applying the restrictions by the draw conductors, not by the admins of CONMEBOL when making the graphic.

After drawing the first three pots, Group C has two CONCACAF teams already, so they cannot take another CONCACAF team for Pot 4. As the only CONMEBOL team in Pot 4, it means Bolivia must go to Group C.

So when drawing the teams for Pot 4, the first team was Canada/T&T, so no problem here as they go to Group A. And then they drew Bolivia, and for some reason, the draw conductors completely forgot about the restriction and put it in Group B.

Now the next team drawn was Jamaica, and they tried to put it in Group C, but realized they cannot since a group cannot have three CONCACAF teams, so they "put" Jamaica in Group D. Finally, they drew Costa Rica/Honduras, but again realized this team cannot go to Group C. So what to do?

The draw conductors claimed at this point that they switched with Bolivia which was put in Group B, so Bolivia would go to Group C, and Costa Rica/Honduras would go to Group B.

But after a while, they realized they did not follow the correct draw procedure. The correct procedure should be that when they drew Bolivia, they immediately put it in Group C as this is the only group they can go to. Next they drew Jamaica, and put it Group B, and finally they drew Costa Rica/Honduras, and they put it in Group D.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

amenina wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 09:59
amenina wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 02:52 LOL, did CONMEBOL just post the wrong draw results on their own twitter feed (they have deleted it)? I thought CAF was bad, but CONMEBOL have out-CAF CAF….

I did not watch the draw, but apparently the mistake was due to a error when applying the restrictions by the draw conductors, not by the admins of CONMEBOL when making the graphic.

After drawing the first three pots, Group C has two CONCACAF teams already, so they cannot take another CONCACAF team for Pot 4. As the only CONMEBOL team in Pot 4, it means Bolivia must go to Group C.

So when drawing the teams for Pot 4, the first team was Canada/T&T, so no problem here as they go to Group A. And then they drew Bolivia, and for some reason, the draw conductors completely forgot about the restriction and put it in Group B.

Now the next team drawn was Jamaica, and they tried to put it in Group C, but realized they cannot since a group cannot have three CONCACAF teams, so they "put" Jamaica in Group D. Finally, they drew Costa Rica/Honduras, but again realized this team cannot go to Group C. So what to do?

The draw conductors claimed at this point that they switched with Bolivia which was put in Group B, so Bolivia would go to Group C, and Costa Rica/Honduras would go to Group B.

But after a while, they realized they did not follow the correct draw procedure. The correct procedure should be that when they drew Bolivia, they immediately put it in Group C as this is the only group they can go to. Next they drew Jamaica, and put it Group B, and finally they drew Costa Rica/Honduras, and they put it in Group D.
Waiting for a CONCACAF-CAF joint bid for any competition. Would be funny.
Jackson Harrison

My early predictions:

Qualifiers:
🇨🇦 Canada over 🇹🇹 Trinidad & Tobago
🇨🇷 Costa Rica over 🇭🇳 Honduras

GROUP A:
🇦🇷 Argentina
🇨🇱 Chile
🇨🇦 Canada
🇵🇪 Peru

GROUP B:
🇪🇨 Ecuador
🇻🇪 Venezuela
🇲🇽 Mexico
🇯🇲 Jamaica

GROUP C:
🇺🇾 Uruguay
🇺🇸 USA
🇵🇦 Panama
🇧🇴 Bolivia

GROUP D:
🇨🇴 Colombia
🇧🇷 Brazil
🇨🇷 Costa Rica
🇵🇾 Paraguay

Quarter-finals:
🇦🇷 Argentina over 🇻🇪 Venezuela
🇨🇱 Chile over 🇪🇨 Ecuador

🇺🇾 Uruguay over 🇧🇷 Brazil
🇺🇸 USA over 🇨🇴 Colombia

Semi-finals:
🇦🇷 Argentina over 🇨🇱 Chile
🇺🇾 Uruguay over 🇺🇸 USA

3rd place:
🇺🇸 USA over 🇨🇱 Chile

Final:
🇺🇾 Uruguay over 🇦🇷 Argentina
Jackson Harrison

@amenina i have a question - if a Concacaf team wins CA (with 🇺🇸 looking strong that's certainly a possibility!) who will participate in Finalissima 2025 as that is a UEFA-CONMEBOL competition?
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

I would imagine the winning team because it is the Conmebol Copa America, therefore the winning team should represent the winner of this competition against the winner of the UEFA EURO.