FIFA Club World Cup

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

I think that schedule should be shifted forward by one day.

MD1 on Monday 16 June and the final on Sunday 13 July; I doubt they would leave the whole weekend before the final blank (quarterfinals Friday 4 and Saturday 5 July).
As_Contas_do_Título

Post by As_Contas_do_Título »

Erased
Matt7r

Post by Matt7r »

bert.kassies wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 22:53 The Italian media (including Gazzetta dello Sport) is quite sure that the ranking will only include CL match and bonus points: https://amp.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/s ... e/69484682
This Italian article from Friday shows the two different qualification standings in the CL only and all competitions scenarios. Bayern and PSG look home and dry either way, with others at risk depending on which table is used and who else from their country qualifies, including by winning this seasons CL. Interestingly it looks like Salzburg stand a good chance of qualifying in the champions league only scenario (so long as the winner of this seasons competition comes from one of the others in that table or Man City or Real Madrid).

https://www.calcioefinanza.it/2023/10/2 ... club-2025/
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

Matt7r wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 15:55
bert.kassies wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 22:53 The Italian media (including Gazzetta dello Sport) is quite sure that the ranking will only include CL match and bonus points: https://amp.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/s ... e/69484682
This Italian article from Friday shows the two different qualification standings in the CL only and all competitions scenarios. Bayern and PSG look home and dry either way, with others at risk depending on which table is used and who else from their country qualifies, including by winning this seasons CL. Interestingly it looks like Salzburg stand a good chance of qualifying in the champions league only scenario (so long as the winner of this seasons competition comes from one of the others in that table or Man City or Real Madrid).

Thanks, this shows exactly the problem. FIFA did not yet communicate the official criteria, but the rankings are already made for 80-90%. It feels like changing the rules during the game.

New Club World Cup ranking – Doubts about the criteria

And this is precisely the point: how will this ranking be compiled? FIFA has not yet communicated the official criteria, but at the moment the most accepted hypothesis is that the points accumulated in the last four seasons (including the current one) are considered, but only in the Champions League. The alternative instead is a ranking that takes into account the points won in all UEFA club competitions
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

Matt7r wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 15:55

Or any Spanish, German, Italian or Portuguese team actually. So pretty much guaranteed if CL coefficient points are the criteria.
shizzle787

Post by shizzle787 »

I personally agree that only Champions League results from the last four years should be used. The Europe League is a second-tier tournament. Going forward, it is effectively crowning the 37th best team in Europe.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

I suppose it would be consistent with rewarding only the CL winners with qualification.
matt

Post by matt »

If I were a fan of one of the teams involved, or at risk to be involved in this competition, despite the monetary incentive, I'd rather hope to not take part in it, because the risk of compromising the following season is quite high (no good preparation, little time to rest), especially for teams that will reach the latter stages.
International break hater
Fotcalc

Post by Fotcalc »

New potential FIFA calculation principle for the 4-year ranking (Club World Cup):https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/ ... refresh_ce
Matt7r

Post by Matt7r »

Fotcalc wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 17:39 New potential FIFA calculation principle for the 4-year ranking (Club World Cup):https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/ ... refresh_ce
And conveniently under these new FIFA rankings Barcelona look well positioned to qualify instead of Atletico with Ajax in 12th place bumping Salzburg out.
ultra2013

Post by ultra2013 »

I wish a system where only Champions League winners were allowed to play. From the latest to the 12th oldest champion. Imagine PSG winning it without never won UCL.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

ultra2013 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 20:51 I wish a system where only Champions League winners were allowed to play. From the latest to the 12th oldest champion. Imagine PSG winning it without never won UCL.
No. That would mean 1 CL win = 3 CWC appearances. Unfair.
As_Contas_do_Título

matt wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 14:32 If I were a fan of one of the teams involved, or at risk to be involved in this competition, despite the monetary incentive, I'd rather hope to not take part in it, because the risk of compromising the following season is quite high (no good preparation, little time to rest), especially for teams that will reach the latter stages.
A quadriennal FIFA Club World Cup will be a competition of the utmost importance, I'd say even more important than the UCL, which is an annual competition (though not financialwise), so if my team won the CWC, I wouldn't mind if they don't win nothing the following season.
ultra2013 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 20:51 I wish a system where only Champions League winners were allowed to play. From the latest to the 12th oldest champion. Imagine PSG winning it without never won UCL.
It's also possible to win the UCL without winning the national championship, so it's nothing new.
matt

Post by matt »

As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 22:52 A quadriennal FIFA Club World Cup will be a competition of the utmost importance, I'd say even more important than the UCL, which is an annual competition (though not financialwise), so if my team won the CWC, I wouldn't mind if they don't win nothing the following season.
Not sure i can agree. You are not considering the fact that 20 teams will not come from UEFA and will hardly be a match for most European teams, given that the strongest ones will take part. I suspect that the average quality of every CL edition (32 teams) is higher than what will be at the CWC (32 teams).
In my opinion the gap between european club football and the rest of the world is considerably larger than in nt football.
International break hater
As_Contas_do_Título

matt wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 23:21
As_Contas_do_Título wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 22:52 A quadriennal FIFA Club World Cup will be a competition of the utmost importance, I'd say even more important than the UCL, which is an annual competition (though not financialwise), so if my team won the CWC, I wouldn't mind if they don't win nothing the following season.
Not sure i can agree. You are not considering the fact that 20 teams will not come from UEFA and will hardly be a match for most European teams, given that the strongest ones will take part. I suspect that the average quality of every CL edition (32 teams) is higher than what will be at the CWC (32 teams).
Similarly, in FWC there are some teams that hardly have the quality of any team in a Euro (Trinidad and Tobago, Togo, Qatar, North Korea, etc.). But still, the World Cup is the World Cup.