English Football 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

rpo.castro wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 13:04
bugylibicska wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 08:05 Is Moyes a West Ham hero?

"Do West Ham fans really believe they deserve better?"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... 7b68&ei=28
"Football is about right now". Recent results aren't good, but no one outside West Ham expects them to outperform last seasons. Do they?
I think it'll be a hard ask to repeat or outperform Moyes. Nobody understands their fans what they mean to play on the West Ham way.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Chelsea points deduction: Relegation dogfight beckons as expert predicts huge penalty over PSR rule break

"Chelsea have been warned they could be hit with a mammoth 15-point penalty THIS season in a move that could plunge the Blues into an unexpected fight for Premier League survival."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... 8e24&ei=17
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Damn. From European champions to the 2nd tier in 3 years? Can you imagine that? Even the most brainwashed Ukrainian flag bearer among Chelsea fans must be missing Abramovich dearly.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

mspm89 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 20:08 Damn. From European champions to the 2nd tier in 3 years? Can you imagine that? Even the most brainwashed Ukrainian flag bearer among Chelsea fans must be missing Abramovich dearly.
Nobody could, but I don't think Chelsea are in serious danger even if 15 points deducted. They'll have 32 points, 7 points and vastly better goal difference over the closest relegation candidate. 4 games left it means Luton must win 2 and draw 2 to beat them if Chelsea won't get even a single point from their remaining 6 games!
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

bugylibicska wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 20:53
mspm89 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 20:08 Damn. From European champions to the 2nd tier in 3 years? Can you imagine that? Even the most brainwashed Ukrainian flag bearer among Chelsea fans must be missing Abramovich dearly.
Nobody could, but I don't think Chelsea are in serious danger even if 15 points deducted. They'll have 32 points, 7 points and vastly better goal difference over the closest relegation candidate. 4 games left it means Luton must win 2 and draw 2 to beat them if Chelsea won't get even a single point from their remaining 6 games!
I believe that Chelsea would rather take a 15 points deduction this year rather than risk the investigation going into next year (even if the deduction next year is a little smaller). If it’s a 20 points deduction, they would fight it anyway they can.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Sheffield United are 2:1 up at Old Trafford with 13% possession (now it's 20%). :rollfloor:

Edit: I've jinxed them, of course, 2:2 now.
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

Meanwhile, Everton is excellent...currently leading 2-0 over Liverpool (minute 66).
matt

Post by matt »

Anti-climatic end for Klopp with the reds, though i'm sure the last home game will be a special day for everyone at Liverpool.
International break hater
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

Finish!! Everton beats Liverpool 2-0.
So Manchester City currently has 2 games less than Arsenal and Liverpool.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

You are right. Though having to do math for two consecutive seasons about relegation (remember last year and how they got stuck on 39 points like forever, and couldn't even score goals?) must be humiliating for them. According to @Lorric, they're not part of any "Big 6" anymore.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

The sweetest win of the season for Everton, they avoid relegaton while putting the final nail in the coffin to Liverpool's title hopes!

Meanwhile, Sheffield United is trying to break Swindon's record for most goals conceded in a season.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

mspm89 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 23:43
You are right. Though having to do math for two consecutive seasons about relegation (remember last year and how they got stuck on 39 points like forever, and couldn't even score goals?) must be humiliating for them. According to @Lorric, they're not part of any "Big 6" anymore.
They could still grab a European place and preserve their Big 6 status in my eyes. Saying that, I basically haven't considered them Big 6 since pretty early in the Boehly era as they're just not the same club anymore, but it will be officially confirmed if they fail. I think they will fail, as their remaining schedule is hard. 5/6 games against top half sides and the other is Forest away who are fighting for their lives.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

It used to be a "Big 2" back in the first decade of the Premier League, with Ferguson and Wenger dominating, then it became "Big 4" in the mid 2000's, and finally City and Spurs joined up in the 2010's. The club only kept getting larger, not shrinking, so Chelsea's case would be a first. And especially outrageous, since it comes not long after a CL title which, as we've all seen, is HARD to come by if you're not Real Cheaters.
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Despite losing 0-6 to Chelsea last week, Everton still have the 4th best defensive record in the league, behind only the top three. On the other hand, they're the second lowest scorers, with more than only Sheff Utd.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

0-4 win at Brighton for City. Strong response.

On Sunday, Tottenham will try to burn Arsenal's hopes and dreams to the ground in Arsenal's hardest remaining fixture, then City will be at Forest after that.