Polish Football Season 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
Juliusz

Polish Football Season 2023/24

Post by Juliusz »

Let's start a new thread as we kick off in a month.

Ekstraklasa

Raków Częstochowa (champion)
Legia Warszawa (cup winner)
Lech Poznań
Pogoń Szczecin
Piast Gliwice
Górnik Zabrze
Cracovia
Warta Poznań
Zagłębie Lubin
Radomiak Radom
Stal Mielec
Widzew Łódź
Korona Kielce
Jagiellonia Białystok
Śląsk Wrocław
ŁKS Łódź (promoted directly from I liga)
Ruch Chorzów (promoted directly from I liga)
Puszcza Niepołomice (won promotion play-offs)

The access list is still yet to be confirmed, but the champion should qualify for CL Q1, cup winner or runner-up for EL Q1 and two teams from the league for ECL Q2.

Puszcza will eventually play at stadium of Cracovia, not Wisła. But they are trying anyway to bring Ekstraklasa to Niepołomice as soon as possible. Ruch will start in Gliwice, but at some point will move to Stadion Śląski.

Polish Cup

Raków, Legia, Lech and Pogoń are given a bye in the first round. The rules are the same as last year.

The final, as usual, will be played on 2 May.

Super Cup

Raków Częstochowa - Legia Warszawa 15 July, 20:10 CET

I liga

Same format as last year, 18 teams will play each other twice. Two top teams are promoted directly, play-offs between teams from places 3-6 will determine the third promoted team, the bottom three teams will be relegated. Similar format in II liga (the only difference is the number of relegated teams: 4 instead of 3).
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Club crests:

Location of teams:

Big empty space in the upper part of the map. Lechia Gdańsk was relegated and Arka Gdynia failed to advance and here is a consequence.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Putting this here so you guys will see it, I saw a comment on Youtube:
Don't blame Fernando Santos, blame the players. One of the defenders admitted that they were thinking about summer holidays during the 2nd half.
If that's true, I'd be interested to know who it was and what exactly they said. I've seen the highlights now and the first two goals were self inflicted by losing the ball at the back. Take nothing away from the strikes though, great strikes, especially the second.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Lorric wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 03:13 Putting this here so you guys will see it, I saw a comment on Youtube:
Don't blame Fernando Santos, blame the players. One of the defenders admitted that they were thinking about summer holidays during the 2nd half.
If that's true, I'd be interested to know who it was and what exactly they said. I've seen the highlights now and the first two goals were self inflicted by losing the ball at the back. Take nothing away from the strikes though, great strikes, especially the second.
Jan Bednarek from Southampton said something like that, but it is taken out of context. He said that in an interview in which he criticized himself and his teammates.

From Google translator:
We wanted to play the second half standing up. We thought this match would play itself out - 45 more minutes and we're going on vacation. The opponent was hungry to win and scored three goals, which is unacceptable. Each of us needs to look in the mirror and say a few bitter words to ourselves. It's our fault. We have to show the reaction again. After a weak match against the Czech Republic, we won against Albania and Germany, and now we are back to square one. We are taking a step forward and two steps back.
Personally I still believe in Fernando Santos, if not him, then no one will create a team from these players. Polish players have relatively high skills, play in very good clubs, in top leagues, but still we don't have a team with some style.

What I like the most in Fernando Santos is that he doesn't give a crap about Polish journalists. When Poland lost to Moldova they had their 5 minutes, as a revenge there was a HUGE attack on Santos by that bunch of unreliable morons. My opinion about Polish sports journalists (with a few exceptions) is that they take huge money for producing bullshit. I looked like an idiot a few times here, on the forum, because I shared info which was delivered by them as 100% confirmed and at the end it turned out to be a fake one.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Lorric wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 03:13 Putting this here so you guys will see it, I saw a comment on Youtube:
As @Greyn wrote, it was Jan Bednarek. The problem is, that he is one of the very few players who speak to the media after defeats and other disappointments. So he receives most of the negative comments, but should be respected instead (not for the performance on the pitch of course).

At the same time, the team captain almost never shows up after defeats so he doesn't have to bother about such comments. But people start noticing it so he might lose his peace and quiet. The atmosphere around Lewandowski is becoming even more tense.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

@Greyn @Juliusz

Thanks, you two.

That attitude doesn't make sense to me. If they had another game after there'd at least be an argument to save for that, like I wasn't bothered at all by England slowing down against Malta. Though they were still never not in control. Malta first was an advantage for the second game, it should be used. But Macedonia, they just kept their foot on the gas all the way through the match, because there's no reason they should have taken it off. Finish the season on a high, and GD could be important! Also, if you are taking it easy / being complacent, they're not stupid, they will notice. And they were there to take advantage of it at the back.

On the Rangers forum I read, they have the same issue with their Captain, Tavernier. He apparently doesn't ever get sent out to the media after a bad result.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

A picture which presents top 10 record transfer fees for Polish clubs, 1 record for each club. One of the main reasons why our clubs don't meet expectations of Polish fans regarding European performances.

Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

From what I've read, transfer fee for Gholizadeh wasn't 1.8m EUR, but around 1 million. Lech tends to include all costs related to a transfer in these amounts to impress fans and media. I believe that the amount reported in Belgium is around half of the one reported in Poland.

Also net transfer fee for Bartosz Slisz was 1.5m, the other 340k was VAT. So Legia paid indeed 1.84m to Zagłębie, but the actual cost for Legia was 1.5m.

These amounts aren't spectacular comparing to other European countries despite growth or clubs' revenues, particularly from TV rights. There is still much work to be done.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

I didn't know that, but even with all these tricks and taxes not even one single transfer with a fee over 2m EUR. While in most of European countries clubs spend more and more money on new signings.

I read somewhere some time ago that Polish clubs spend big percent of their budgets on salaries in comparison to clubs in other European leagues. This seems to be 'unhealthy' and should be changed I guess.
Club-Mate

Post by Club-Mate »

Greyn wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 08:43 A picture which presents top 10 record transfer fees for Polish clubs, 1 record for each club. One of the main reasons why our clubs don't meet expectations of Polish fans regarding European performances.

S. Wlodarczyk Polish U21 NT with 13 goals last season from Gornik Zabrze to Sturm Graz for 3 Mio € on 7.7.2023. This seems to be record for Gornik. But maybe avove transfers are incoming ones.
Last edited by Club-Mate on Fri Jul 14, 2023 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

These are indeed very low numbers.

Either Polish clubs don't have multi-millionaire owners willing to pour money to them or they have very low income. Or both (probably).
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Club-Mate wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 13:46 S. Wlodarczyk Polish U21 NT with 13 goals last season from Gornik Zabrze to Sturm Graz for 3 Mio € on 7.7.2023. This seems to be record for Gornik. But maybe avove transfers are incoming ones.
These are incoming transfers.

Record sold players are Kacper Kozłowski (Pogoń) and Jakub Moder (Lech), both to Brighton for around 11m EUR each.
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Super Cup

Raków Częstochowa - Legia Warszawa 0:0, 5:6 on penalties

After 8 consecutive Super Cups lost and 2 not played, Legia wins this trophy! :applause: For the first time since 2008, when they beat Wisła Kraków.

The result tells pretty much about this game, however both teams used high pressing and were close to make use of each other's errors. Raków hit the bar in the added time as well. They did some changes, but didn't switch the full line-up like previous champions used to do in these matches. So not all players had rest before return leg vs Flora, but they still should be able to manage qualification for Q2.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Warta Poznań with a new club crest, or perhaps, I should say with a new logo instead of crest. Unfortunately that "fashion" of simplifying traditional club crests came to Poland. :down:

Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Matchday 1

League table

Results

Warta Poznań - Pogoń Szczecin 0:1
Efthýmis Kouloúris 36'
Attendance: 3274

Legia Warszawa - ŁKS 3:0
Tomáš Pekhart 25', 56', 68'
Attendance: 26 584

Stal Mielec - Cracovia 2:2
Ilya Shkurin 24', Maciej Domański 36' - Paweł Jaroszyński 54', Michał Rakoczy 61'
Attendance: 6392

Raków Częstochowa - Jagiellonia Białystok 3:0
Łukasz Zwoliński 45'+2, 63' (penalty), Bartosz Nowak 65'
Attendance: 5346

Piast Gliwice - Lech Poznań 1:2
Patryk Dziczek 43' (penalty) - Filip Marchwiński 46', 54'
Attendance: 5784

Górnik Zabrze - Radomiak Radom 0:2
Pedro Henrique 60', Rafał Wolski 65'
Attendance: 16 543

Zagłębie Lubin - Ruch Chorzów 2:1
Tomasz Makowski 71', Bartłomiej Kłudka 81' - Aleks Ławniczak 28' (own goal)
Attendance: 8763

Widzew Łódź - Puszcza Niepołomice 3:2
Fran Álvarez 35', Patryk Stępiński 55', Andrejs Cigaņiks 90'+3 - Artur Siemaszko 8', Rok Kidrič 90'+9
Attendance: 17 098

Korona Kielce - Śląsk Wrocław 1:1
Adrián Dalmau 83' - Martin Konczkowski 48'
Attendance: 12 266

Top scorers:
3 - Tomáš Pekhart (Legia Warszawa)
2 - Filip Marchwiński (Lech Poznań), Łukasz Zwoliński (Raków Częstochowa)
1 - 18 players

A fantastic week of football. Actually all nine matches were entertaining and with high quality. Usually first weeks are boring, but this time many teams seem to be well prepared. Some of them had to face much stronger sides and they didn't stand a chance on the pitch. Which is not obvious in such a balanced league.

Let me concentrate myself on our European teams. Pogoń played severely weakened Warta and beat them. One could have expected a higher scoreline, but Pogoń did their job and they can hope that they finally found a striker, who has been necessary for years.

Legia faced I liga winner ŁKS in a packed stadium, which is unusual in summer in Warsaw and is success of the management. People want to attend the stadium again in high numbers. ŁKS had an opportunity to level the score at the beginning of the second half, but they hit the post. It was all Legia though and Pekhart was the hero of the team, still being efficient at this level.

Raków wasn't convincing in the first half, but then Zwoliński again behaved smart in the penalty box. He is in a very good shape at the beginning of the season and should be a starter vs Qarabağ IMO. They also brought Sonny Kittel, who recently played in HSV. Raków are taking European qualifying matches seriously and are already quite well prepared.

Among our four teams, Lech had the hardest task. Therefore, a narrow win in Gliwice is success. They started their preparations late and so finalized transfers, so they need some more time. Against Žalgiris, it should be enough anyway. Against Piast, they could have conceded twice in the final minutes, but host players had unbelievable misses from very close range, almost from the goal line.

Next week only 7 matches will be played. Raków and Legia postponed their games because of their European qualification. Lech and Pogoń have better travelling options (Lithuania and Northern Ireland respectively, rather than Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan) and don't need to pull this option yet.