Polish Football Season 2023/24

Domestic league and cup football
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Greyn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 04:32
bugylibicska wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 00:39 Over 50 thousand spectators in Chorzow? For a team that dead last against a mid table team playing for nothing? Amazing. :up:
As Juliusz mentioned, there is a friendship between Ruch and Widzew fans, so buffer zone was not necessary at the stadium. There were about 11 500 Widzew fans attending this game according to the commentators (if I remember correctly). Widzew have really many "active" fans, their stadium is usually fully packed and they have the highest number of seasonal tickets sold in Ekstraklasa. The capacity of their stadium is 18 018 and it is clear to everyone that city council in Łódź made a huge mistake with building a stadium which is simply too small. As for Ruch, there was always a good football climate in Silesia and Ruch along with Górnik Zabrze have the highest number of fans in the Silesian agglomeration. Before the match vs Widzew there was a big campaign made by Ruch fans to invite people to attend this match live at the stadium in order to break an all-time attendance record for Ekstraklasa match.

Those were just some theoretical arguments above, but I agree that this amazing.
I see, makes sense now. Thanks Greyn! :D
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

bugylibicska wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 04:44
I see, makes sense now. Thanks Greyn! :D
You're welcome.

Just one correction - there were about 19 000 Widzew fans at the stadium in Chorzów. More than the capacity of their home stadium in Łódź. :shock:
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Matchday 30

League table

Results

Piast Gliwice - Warta Poznań 2:0
Kamil Wilczek 43', Grzegorz Tomasiewicz 89'
Attendance: 3536

Jagiellonia Białystok - Pogoń Szczecin 2:2
Afimico Pululu 24', Jesús Imaz 45' - Kamil Grosicki 15', Léo Borges 57'
Attendance: 19 474

Górnik Zabrze - ŁKS 4:1
Szymon Czyż 25', Lawrence Ennali 35', Kamil Lukoszek 63', Filipe Nascimento 90' - Dani Ramírez 84'
Attendance: 20 253

Śląsk Wrocław - Ruch Chorzów 2:3
Erik Expósito 86', Yehor Matsenko 90'+2 - Soma Novothny 11', Tomasz Wójtowicz 27', Michał Feliks 75'
Attendance: 25 035

Widzew Łódź - Raków Częstochowa 0:1
Vladyslav Kochergin 81'
Attendance: 17 553

Radomiak Radom - Zagłębie Lubin 3:4
Vágner Dias 51', Jan Grzesik 74', Dawid Abramowicz 86' - Dawid Kurminowski 20', 39', 53', Aleks Ławniczak 30'
Attendance: 8020

Stal Mielec - Legia Warszawa 1:3
Ilya Shkurin 39' - Josué 21' (penalty), Bartosz Kapustka 76', Maciej Rosołek 90'+4 (penalty)
Attendance: 6514

Lech Poznań - Cracovia 0:0
Attendance: 40 362

Puszcza Niepołomice - Korona Kielce 1:1
Roman Yakuba 18' - Martin Remacle 54'
Attendance: 3728

Top scorers:
17 - Erik Expósito (Śląsk Wrocław)
14 - Ilya Shkurin (Stal Mielec)
12 - Kamil Grosicki, Efthýmis Kouloúris (both Pogoń Szczecin)
11 - Dawid Kurminowski (Zagłębie Lubin)
10 - Jesús Imaz, Bartłomiej Wdowik (both Jagiellonia Białystok)
9 - Mikael Ishak, Kristoffer Velde (both Lech Poznań), Josué (Legia Warszawa), Afimico Pululu (Jagiellonia Białystok), Daniel Szczepan (Ruch Chorzów)

Ekstraklasa keeps things exciting. First, Jagiellonia invited more teams to fight for the championship. They had a fantastic chance in 98th minute to beat Pogoń, but Dominik Marczuk took the attempt himself instead of passing to Jesús Imaz, who had an open goal. He did it vs Legia, but this time he didn't and missed.

Śląsk also could have changed the result in the last minute. For them, a draw wouldn't mean much, but they would have chased from 0-3 to 3-3 in less than 10 minutes. However, Patryk Klimala is a big transfer flop and failed to meet an open goal. Śląsk, who were first after autumn, are the worst team of spring after they lost to Ruch. For the latter it was first away win this season.

Górnik are still in the race, at least for European places. They are the best team of last 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 matches. ŁKS are not relegated yet, but are as good as done. Apart from winning all their remaining matches, they need Ruch to collect less than 10 points, Korona less than 2, and Cracovia at least one. Then, if Puszcza lose all their matches, ŁKS would have to catch up the goal difference (currently ŁKS -36, Puszcza -11).

Raków and Legia used their last chances to stay in the fight for top 3. But their wins weren't breakthroughs. Raków were 11 vs 10 for 75 minutes and won thanks to a late goal from distance. Legia played even worse than vs Raków or Śląsk, were lucky with their second goal, and for a long time did not seem to be able to dominate Stal. Both Raków and Legia have injury issues, for the former it's a usual thing, for the latter it can be really painful as their bench is a joke.

Lech disappointed as usual, with a lot of meaningless possession and many frustrating mistakes. They were quite close to break the deadlock in the first half, but then Cracovia's commitment was enough to prevent Lech for creating dangerous chances after the break. This results still lets Lech move to second and be closest to Jagiellonia...

The biggest match was played in Cracow, where Puszcza hosted Korona. Puszcza again couldn't hold their lead, but Korona can't be really satisfied. They extended their hope, but need wins dramatically. Radomiak, apart from Śląsk, is the worst team of spring, and definitely when it comes to performance and can still be involved at the bottom if they don't wake up.

Last week, license decisions were made. All current Ekstraklasa clubs completed the process successfully. Warta will have to move from Grodzisk Wielkopolski to Poznań, to Lech stadium. Puszcza will still play at Cracovia stadium.

On Thursday, at 16:00 CET, the grand Polish Cup final will take place. Pogoń will face Wisła Kraków. It will be either first trophy for Pogoń in their history, or a win for a 2nd tier side, which might not advance this year (currently 5th place in I liga).
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Juliusz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 00:06
On Thursday, at 16:00 CET, the grand Polish Cup final will take place. Pogoń will face Wisła Kraków. It will be either first trophy for Pogoń in their history, or a win for a 2nd tier side, which might not advance this year (currently 5th place in I liga).
I checked Polish Cup winners from non-top tier and how they performed in Europe later on.

Stal Rzeszów - 1975 - 2nd tier

CWC R1 - Skeid Oslo (NOR) - Stal Rzeszów 1-4, 0-4
CWC R2 - Wrexham (WAL) - Stal Rzeszów 2-0, 1-1

Lechia Gdańsk - 1983 - 3rd tier

CWC R1 - Juventus (ITA) - Lechia Gdańsk 7-0, 3-2

Miedź Legnica - 1992 - 2nd tier

CWC R1 - Miedź Legnica - AS Monaco (FRA) 0-1, 0-0

Ruch Chorzów -1996 - 2nd tier

CWC Q - Llansantffraid (WAL) - Ruch Chorzów 1-1, 0-5
CWC R1 - Benfica (POR) - Ruch Chorzów 5-1, 0-0
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Polish Cup final

Pogoń Szczecin - Wisła Kraków 1:2 AET
Efthýmis Kouloúris 75' - Eneko Satrústegui 90'+9, Ángel Rodado 93'
Attendance: 47 506

Let's mark this result here as well.

Pogoń will never win anything. Not a chance. 7th club in Ekstraklasa all time table failed again. They had one job: hold the lead in the 99th minute. Instead, they gave the ball easily and second one was another gift.

But to be honest, Wisła were the better side in this match and deserved that win. They are very motivated in such matches which sometimes they lack in I liga. Now let's see how UEFA decides about their 'extraordinary application' or 'special permission' to play in Europe. If it is successful, they will be back after 12.5 years, and have a still active unbeaten streak in 4 European matches.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Additionally Wisła got 5M PLN (~1.1M EUR) for a final win + 500k PLN (~110k EUR) for previous rounds. Maybe not a stunning amount of money even for Polish standards, but surely will be helpful for a club which struggles financially. More money to come if they get a license from UEFA and play at least 4 matches in the European Cups.

There are rumors that Bogusław Cupiał is interested in investing again in Wisła and become owner or co-owner, but I think that these rumors have not much to do with reality. Cupiał is one of the richest people in Poland and was Wisła owner between 1997-2016, which was the most successful period in club history.

Ekstraklasa without Wisła is not the same, so despite Wisła are arch-rivals of Legia, I wish them promotion this season, although it will not be easy for them.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Watching our potential export clubs today - Górnik and Lech, makes me sick when I try to imagine them playing in Europe :fingal: .

I wonder if Lech would play better with or without Rumak (coach). Seems like he has negative impact on the team.

One more reason for me to hope that Legia will overtake both Górnik and Lech at the end of the season and qualify for Europe.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

I was just checking the standings today and saw both Legia and Rakow are out of Europe. I already see @Greyn’s thoughts so im interested what the other polish members think. Are you pessimistic too?
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Śląsk Wrocław, another pretender for championship title or at least an European spot, are currently playing in Łódź and are totally dominated by dead last ŁKS who are practically relegated. Śląsk somehow managed to score from a counter attack, but the goal was disallowed after a VAR check. :D
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

I don't want to make more spoilers for @Juliusz and his weekly raport, but the saga continues in our beloved Polish Ekstraklasa. Everyone who is following results this week knows what I'm talking about.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Greyn wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 21:15 I don't want to make more spoilers for @Juliusz and his weekly raport, but the saga continues in our beloved Polish Ekstraklasa. Everyone who is following results this week knows what I'm talking about.
Looks like a must win home game tomorrow then?
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Bulgarian wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 21:59
Greyn wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 21:15 I don't want to make more spoilers for @Juliusz and his weekly raport, but the saga continues in our beloved Polish Ekstraklasa. Everyone who is following results this week knows what I'm talking about.
Looks like a must win home game tomorrow then?
Yes, indeed. With a win Legia will be in a driving seat to finish on the European spot and, who knows, maybe with a chance for something more. On paper Legia are heavy favorites, but Radomiak are still involved in a relegation battle and will be fully motivated for sure. Unfortunately Jagiellonia has better H2H vs Legia, so chances for Legia to win the title would be still quite low in case of tomorrow's win. Anyway, I stopped believing in a championship title for Legia long time ago, probably after terrible winter transfer window I was already very pessimistic. This domestic season was very bad, but if Legia qualify for Europe, I will be relatively satisfied.
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Red card for Legia at 6'. Why not? :fingal:

EDIT: 0-3 with a few minutes to go. Well done Kapustka, with a little help from the referee.

Legia don't want to be different and join company from the top of the table. Brilliant chance wasted in a very miserable way...
Greyn

Post by Greyn »

Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Bulgarian wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 14:19 I was just checking the standings today and saw both Legia and Rakow are out of Europe. I already see @Greyn’s thoughts so im interested what the other polish members think. Are you pessimistic too?
I can speak for myself, but is there any other option? The positions in the standings are not the most worrying. All top teams look dreadful, they not only lose, but also play much worse than teams being at the bottom... For instance, it was not by chance that Lech lost to Puszcza or Ruch. They were lucky to win vs ŁKS and I'm serious here. Similar things can be said about Legia, Raków, Pogoń, but also Śląsk, Górnik and Jagiellonia. We had some crazy seasons here, but this is beyond imagination.