LaLiga 2023-2024 (First Division)

Domestic league and cup football
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

Overall its a very stupid situation which couldve been easily avoided. I read that the ref will receive some sort of a punishment which he deserves.
MercedesBenz240

Post by MercedesBenz240 »

Relegation battle looks done and dusted
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Sagy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 20:24
Bulgarian wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 19:40
Polak wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 19:20

He ended the game before the cross went in. He probably should have ended the match as soon as the corner was cleared but for some reason he waited a few seconds. He did not end the match when the cross went in but before the ball was crossed so I do not see the issue.

I did not label him as anything I just said he gave them a lot of injury time at the end of both halves. Yes he gave a penalty to Valencia incorrectly but upon reviewing the decision with VAR intervention he corrected it. If he was a cheat he'd stay with his decision after reviewing the incident, as referees sometimes do. As for your research comment, I don't understand it. What research do I need to do? I was referring to a specific incident in the last seconds of the match. It does not require much research.
You clearly stated he was favourable to Real which is a synonym to helping them. If he was favourable to them he would not call a penalty with ZERO contact. Thats what i meant by research.
The whistle came in just as Brahim was about to cross. The attack was clearly not over. Either call the game before the corner or let everything play out because the initial clearance was nowhere near a safe position.
The only good thing is that the title race is not close yet so this is not that irritating right now though its more annoying when i look at it today than last night.
Someone might be able to do better research than my memory. Watching as it on TV and the replays I saw as part of the broadcast it seemed that the whistle sounded right after the cross. However, even if it was just before the cross (“as Brahim was about to cross”) it is still bad game management and a bad call. The CR could have “an out” if the attacker was dribbling the ball with his back to the goal (there was a point at which that could be argued), but that is NOT when the CR whistled so it’s not relevant.
He whistles at same time of the cross. Its just wrong call anywhere.
https://twitter.com/DAZNPortugal/status ... 2271880275
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Video is unavailable in my location (USA), I’ll use VPN later.

As you said, it’s a bad call (not by the book, by game management and practice).
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

More agreement that it was a bad call. And some potential consequences (as was suggested above)
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

rpo.castro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:59
Sagy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 23:52 The call at the end of the Real - Valencia game might be the worst since the Brazil - Sweden 1978 one. Not talking about missed fouls or ball over the line type calls, I’m talking about CR game management type calls.
He did the same call in the end of first half.
This ref must ne the forumite that call Real Madrid, real cheaters.
They will won anyway against the bankrupts and the new oilers.
Hah. I was already thinking of dropping a comment here before I got summoned!

Anyway, it was a close call, but it was neither right nor wrong: it was what it was, the ref didn't break any rule. And BTW, Manzano is no Lahoz but he's never been shy from helping Real Cheaters from time to time (or punish their title rivals), so please spare us all the whining.

In fact, this might be a blessing in disguise for the Madrid team. Every f*cking time the friendly media makes a stink about the refs, it's like a memo for the rest of them to treat them well during the subsequent weeks. Works like a charm.

Yet they probably don't even need the special treatment. Current Barça can't help themselves, and Girona's predictably having a hard time keeping up.
Last edited by mspm89 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

Real actually INCREASED their lead by 1 point (because Girona lost). Instead of celebrating being a step closer to the title they started this fracas. This arrogance and the sense of entitlement is what puts neutrals off Real (even though in this particular case there was no "cheating" per se).

If +5 minutes injury time is announced, then a team can have no claim to anything after the game clock passes 95:00. Even though many referees let the sequence play out on offense, there is no obligation to do so.

And of course the ref will be "punished". This is Real's intimidation tactics to ensure that over the course of the season there is a net positive balance of calls in its favour.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

rrey1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 14:42 Real actually INCREASED their lead by 1 point (because Girona lost). Instead of celebrating being a step closer to the title they started this fracas. This arrogance and the sense of entitlement is what puts neutrals off Real (even though in this particular case there was no "cheating" per se).

If +5 minutes injury time is announced, then a team can have no claim to anything after the game clock passes 95:00. Even though many referees let the sequence play out on offense, there is no obligation to do so.

And of course the ref will be "punished". This is Real's intimidation tactics to ensure that over the course of the season there is a net positive balance of calls in its favour.
Agree with everything you said here, except that a penalty must be taken if called, no matter how many minutes they're over the announced injury time.

You can see this Real Trampas arrogance in the comments by Bulgarian and the Braga fan, who usually post good comments but like to run their mouths off when their bias takea over.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

mspm89 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 14:40
rpo.castro wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:59
Sagy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 23:52 The call at the end of the Real - Valencia game might be the worst since the Brazil - Sweden 1978 one. Not talking about missed fouls or ball over the line type calls, I’m talking about CR game management type calls.
He did the same call in the end of first half.
This ref must ne the forumite that call Real Madrid, real cheaters.
They will won anyway against the bankrupts and the new oilers.
Hah. I was already thinking of dropping a comment here before I got summoned!

Anyway, it was a close call, but it was neither right nor wrong: it was what it was, the ref didn't break any rule. And BTW, Manzano is no Lahoz but he's never been shy from helping Real Cheaters from time to time (or punish their title rivals), so please spare us all the whining.

In fact, this might be a blessing in disguise for the Madrid team. Every f*cking time the friendly media makes a stink about the refs, it's like a memo for the rest of them to treat them well during the subsequent weeks. Works like a charm.

Yet they probably don't even need the special treatment. Current Barça can't help themselves, and Girona's predictably having a hard time keeping up.
mspm89 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 15:54
rrey1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 14:42 Real actually INCREASED their lead by 1 point (because Girona lost). Instead of celebrating being a step closer to the title they started this fracas. This arrogance and the sense of entitlement is what puts neutrals off Real (even though in this particular case there was no "cheating" per se).

Agree with everything you said here, except that a penalty must be taken if called, no matter how many minutes they're over the announced injury time.

You can see this Real Trampas arrogance in the comments by Bulgarian and the Braga fan, who usually post good comments but like to run their mouths off when their bias takea over.
Correct, PK must be taken regardless of time (per rule book). The first quoted post above is also correct that “by the book” the CR can end the game at any time (past 90 min plus minimum added time). However, and it is a big however, there are common practice and game management that must be taken into account. Anyone that has ever received a referee’s observer repot will tell you that a good portion is about common practice and game management, not just the rule book.

Calling the game when the ball is about to be crossed into the box, or in the air is very bad in both these regards (it is not misapplication of a rule so there is no ground to replay the game). If you are in doubt, check what happened to CRs that have ended the game in such situations (middle of attack which lead to a goal a second or two after the final whistle). Hint, they were not praised for the call, nor was it classified as “neither right nor wrong”.

For the record, AFAIK, none of the past such cases involved Real Madrid. Anyone that looks at this case with consideration to the teams involved, is best case missing the point and possibly biased one way or another.
Bulgarian

Post by Bulgarian »

People here try to push the narrative that the whole situation happens 2 minutes beyond the added time while failing to realise two things:
1. This is a MINIMUM of added time.
But even if you want to disregard this point:
2. There was a VAR which took place for about at least two minutes while in added time therefore extending the initial added time.
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

Bulgarian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 17:36 People here try to push the narrative that the whole situation happens 2 minutes beyond the added time while failing to realise two things:
2. There was a VAR which took place for about at least two minutes while in added time therefore extending the initial added time.
I know this guy has me muted but, unless the 4th official officializes the extension of stoppage time, there's no obligation for the referee.

@Sagy: this situation reminds me of those instances when there was an offside call and the ball went into the net. The whistle may have already conditioned the defending players to stop playing naturally, so it was never called a "disallowed goal".

The directive with VAR now is supposed to be that the refs should never whistle for offside in order to prevent the above situation. Are you aware of any instance when VAR intervened and this directive wasn't followed? Because that would make it very similar to the Mestalla incident.
offside

Post by offside »

I watched only the highlights of the match: from what I have seen I don't think that the referee was in bad faith.

I don't have a strong opinion about this case, I am really undecided about this call, I'm not sure that I would call this a mistake by the referee: the ball went out of the box after a corner kick play, and he whistled the end there, it happens often. But in this case the ball was being crossed in the box again right before the whistle, and Real Madrid scored right after, in that same play, and this usually does not happen. So, I am undecided about this case, this is one of the situations where I just accept the decision of the referee. Just my (neutral) two cents on the matter.

Also, I think that Real Madrid will win the title anyway, those potential two points lost will likely be irrelevant at the end of the season.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

mspm89 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 18:39
Bulgarian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 17:36 People here try to push the narrative that the whole situation happens 2 minutes beyond the added time while failing to realise two things:
I know this guy has me muted but, unless the 4th official officializes the extension of stoppage time, there's no obligation for the referee.

@Sagy: this situation reminds me of those instances when there was an offside call and the ball went into the net. The whistle may have already conditioned the defending players to stop playing naturally, so it was never called a "disallowed goal".

The directive with VAR now is supposed to be that the refs should never whistle for offside in order to prevent the above situation. Are you aware of any instance when VAR intervened and this directive wasn't followed? Because that would make it very similar to the Mestalla incident.
Sorry, but I believe you are mistaken on some of your assertions

1) The 4th official never “officializes the extension of stoppage time”. It is the responsibility of the CR to extend stoppage time as needed based on “wasted time” that occurred during the “stoppage time”. That is the reason you hear “the 4th official indicated a minimum of x minutes”. Side note, the 4th official only shows the added time, the amount of time is decided by the CR.

2) The situation is not the same. The bad call is not the “no goal”. The bad call is the decision to blow the whistle as the ball was being crossed. If he would have whistled when he put the whistle to his mouth, he might have been OK. The fact is that he waited. During that short period, the situation changed (a cross into the box was in progress, regardless if the ball was already in the air). At that point, both by common practice and as far as game management go (not by the rule book), ending the game is a bad call.

To make it very clear. Once the whistle sounded, there is no way to “correct” this call, VAR or no VAR, a conference of the officials, even the CR stating that it was an inadvertent whistle, can’t approve the goal. The mistake was blowing the whistle at the time he did given the situation on the field. I’m not claiming bad faith or conspiracy. I’m just stating that in my view this is a very bad call for a CR to make.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

This is just a big error in any stadium with any club. Those denying it donso because they are very biased.
Most important rule of being ref is using common sense. You can never end the match in a situation like that and he had already done it in 1st half and he a very experience referee. Yes it was a big mistake from every angle you choose to look at.

And why Real Madrid shouldn't be complaining just because Girona won? What has one thing to do with another? That is just another dumb comment from who has no more statements.
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

What were Real players protesting ?
Once the whistle was blown, there was no way they would have gotten this goal back. Were they unaware of the rules ? Or was the whole spectacle the way to intimidate the referee ?

Unfavorable call can happen to any team. "Normal" team would just suck it up and move on. But Real is anything but a "normal" team (at least by their own entitled thinking).