German Football 2023-24

Domestic league and cup football
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Leverkusen showed no signs of nervousness after Bayern's 8-1 statement a day before. Wolfsburg's red card in the 28th minute was already a huge advantage of course, minutes later they managed to get the lead in the game. Another beauty by Wirtz after the one in the EL. There are still some tricky games left for Bayer: in Dortmund, at home against Stuttgart, in Frankfurt. Games like Freiburg away or Bremen and Hoffenheim at home are also not a walk in a park. But of course they have to bring it home now, still undefeated, incredible. Don't know when Boniface comes back, maybe after the national team break, it would help too, his absence is probably their only weakness right now, they have to work harder for goals.

Second strong game by Bayern in a row. First Lazio, now this 8-1. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to keep Tuchel for the rest of the season, all of a sudden they look like a team again as they don't play for the coach anymore, but only for themselves.

Stuttgart very consistant, hard job for BVB and RBL to get a CL spot, at least if we don't get a top 2 UEFA place, which is likely.

Eintracht looks better now. It's different to previous seasons where they showed their best face in Europe while struggling in the league. Maybe because it was 'only' the ECL? Or is it the inexperienced coach who couldn't handle international games? Anyway, as of now they are back in their beloved EL! Behind them there are a lot of teams fighting for the 7th place.

Lets see if any of the last three teams can catch one of the three teams above. If not, it's a three way battle for the playoff spot, I prefer Köln over the other two. Good stadium and fans.
offside

Post by offside »

BurningStorm wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:26Stuttgart very consistant, hard job for BVB and RBL to get a CL spot, at least if we don't get a top 2 UEFA place, which is likely.
Quite ironically, the chances of qualification of both Borussia Dortmund and RB Leipzig for the next Champions League, largely depend on very good results in Europe of their rivals, first of all Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen: if both of these can get very far in CL and EL (and Borussia Dortmund plus Freiburg also score a few more coefficient points) Germany has a fair chance to qualify 5 clubs from Bundesliga to the next Champions League.
matt

Post by matt »

matt wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 20:04
BurningStorm wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 22:47 Bayern out again!!! Lost in Saarbrücken (3rd division), 2:1 in the 95th minute when Bayern tried to avoid the extra-time. But surely not in this way!
Eintracht out, they (Saarbrucken) have done it again. Big failure for Eintracht.

Gladbach (what a rubbish season) out, Saarbrucken are the last semifinalist.

Bayer Leverkusen - Fortuna Dusseldorf (2)
Saarbrucken (3) - Kaiserslautern (2)

Leverkusen can do the second wholesome thing of the season after detroning Bayern, that is to let a second or third division team win the cup :grin1:
International break hater
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Those are the legendary underdog stories in the DFB-Pokal. But now I hope there won't be a big surprise anymore, which means Leverkusen should win it. A 2nd or 3rd division team in the EL would hurt us in the ranking, I would cheer for it in other countries, so I understand if people here want this. It's more likely that Leverkusen lose the semifinal at home against Fortuna than the final.

Gladbach such an idiotic team. 2.95 to 0.48 xG for them and they still waste such an opportunity.
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

BurningStorm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 00:01 Those are the legendary underdog stories in the DFB-Pokal. But now I hope there won't be a big surprise anymore, which means Leverkusen should win it. A 2nd or 3rd division team in the EL would hurt us in the ranking, I would cheer for it in other countries, so I understand if people here want this. It's more likely that Leverkusen lose the semifinal at home against Fortuna than the final.

Gladbach such an idiotic team. 2.95 to 0.48 xG for them and they still waste such an opportunity.
After knocking out Bayern, Eintracht and now "Gladbach I think Saarbrucken would deserve to play in Europe. :up:
diyx

Post by diyx »

I believe it's the first time ever to have 3 semi finalists from lower tier leagues, and it could be the first time in history to have no Bundesliga team in the final.
Oldelpaso

Post by Oldelpaso »

Crazy that a team who last won a trophy 31 years ago, one of only two in their history, is now heavy favourite for a double.

I remember Kaiserslautern in the Champions League. I was looking out for them at the time after they signed Uwe Rösler.
No to Superleague
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Oldelpaso wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 Crazy that a team who last won a trophy 31 years ago, one of only two in their history, is now heavy favourite for a double.
Loserkusen no more?

Has any other team managed to do the “runner up treble” like they did in 2002: Bundesliga (Borussia Dortmund), German Cup (Schalke 04) and UCL (Real Madrid)
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Sagy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 14:53
Oldelpaso wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:42 Crazy that a team who last won a trophy 31 years ago, one of only two in their history, is now heavy favourite for a double.
Loserkusen no more?

Has any other team managed to do the “runner up treble” like they did in 2002: Bundesliga (Borussia Dortmund), German Cup (Schalke 04) and UCL (Real Madrid)
Bayern 2011/12:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2 ... ich_season

Runner up to Dortmund, lost the cup final to Dortmund, lost the CL final to Chelsea.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Lorric wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 16:39
Loserkusen no more?

Bayern 2011/12:

Runner up to Dortmund, lost the cup final to Dortmund, lost the CL final to Chelsea.
Thanks. Totally forgot about that one 😞

Looks like a specialty reserved for German teams 🧐
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Sagy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 17:57
Lorric wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 16:39

Loserkusen no more?

Bayern 2011/12:

Thanks. Totally forgot about that one 😞

Looks like a specialty reserved for German teams 🧐
At least for Bayern there was a happy end: the treble in the season after.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Kane got an assist and a goal but then got injured in a 2-5 win at Darmstadt. Fingers crossed it's not bad this close to the Euro...
rrey1

Post by rrey1 »

Benfica 2012-13:
- lost the league to Porto head-to-head on penultimate day
- lost Europa League to Chelsea
- lost Portuguese Cup in the final
So, this is not "reserved" for only German teams ...
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

rrey1 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 05:43 Benfica 2012-13:
Good one, I didn’t know about it. In my view it deserves an * due to EL vs CL.
diyx

Post by diyx »

Sagy wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 06:56
rrey1 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 05:43 Benfica 2012-13:
Good one, I didn’t know about it. In my view it deserves an * due to EL vs CL.
There is also a difference if the team in question was favorite to win or not. In my opinion Bayern's 2nd place triple 2012 was very depressing because they were big favorites, especially in the Champions League final at home vs. Chelsea.