My personal top 100 national teams

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 19:44
Lorric wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 19:30
Kamtedrejt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 19:01
I can already tell you that I won't have Argentina in first.
They won the World Cup, yes. But the fashion in which they did left to be desired. That's why they won't be ranked first in my ranking.

And yes ranking 100 teams individually is extremely tough. I'm still in the process to check out footage to get a better grasp on some teams.

The only way I can come up with a top 100 ranking is by ranking all teams in their respective confederation. Then I would just have to find a way to merge it to one ranking by factoring regional strength and keeping the gap between teams of a confederation realistic.
But no one's done any better in your three year period. They won everything. How can they not be number one? Doesn't matter if they did it in style, they won and won and won. They've got three trophies.
Why 3? It should be a full cycle at least!
My ranking will start from May 2021. So it will cover the EUROs, AFCON, Copa America and the Gold Cup of that year. Everything before that goes basically out of the window. I believe in order to have a chance to beat FIFA and ELO for a a higher accuracy I need to go for a shorter time frame.

My goal is a more dynamic ranking than FIFA and ELO. That means a shorter time frame will be taken into account + I allow faster for rising teams to rise and I allow faster for falling teams to fall. More fluctuation will be seen. Current form will impact a nation's rank severly.

That's the direction I want to go with my ranking.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Kamtedrejt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 19:45
Kamtedrejt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 19:01
I can already tell you that I won't have Argentina in first.
They won the World Cup, yes. But the fashion in which they did left to be desired. That's why they won't be ranked first in my ranking.

And yes ranking 100 teams individually is extremely tough. I'm still in the process to check out footage to get a better grasp on some teams.

The only way I can come up with a top 100 ranking is by ranking all teams in their respective confederation. Then I would just have to find a way to merge it to one ranking by factoring regional strength and keeping the gap between teams of a confederation realistic.
But no one's done any better in your three year period. They won everything. How can they not be number one? Doesn't matter if they did it in style, they won and won and won. They've got three trophies.
My ranking will start from May 2021. France will be ranked first. As I said my ranking will be highly subjective without any calculation format.
Just because a team won all trophies possible doesn't make them by default the best team in the world in everyone's eyes. Argentina won it but if the World Cup was played a 100 times do you believe they would have won the most of any nation? I doubt it. Everything fell into place for them and they rose to the occasion. But that doesn't make them the world's best. France are still the team to beat in international football.
Yeah, we'd differ here in that results would be king in trying to discover who was the best for me. And Argentina's results just cannot be matched over that three year period.

Perhaps you should measure yourself up against bookmaker odds to win the 2026 World Cup, since it is their business to make money by being accurate while other rankings are entirely results based to generate seedings. Bookmakers would drop odds on a declining team like Belgium while the rankings would keep them up there until they start having bad results.

So where's England going to end up in this ranking of yours?
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Lorric wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 20:13

My ranking will start from May 2021. France will be ranked first. As I said my ranking will be highly subjective without any calculation format.
Just because a team won all trophies possible doesn't make them by default the best team in the world in everyone's eyes. Argentina won it but if the World Cup was played a 100 times do you believe they would have won the most of any nation? I doubt it. Everything fell into place for them and they rose to the occasion. But that doesn't make them the world's best. France are still the team to beat in international football.
Yeah, we'd differ here in that results would be king in trying to discover who was the best for me. And Argentina's results just cannot be matched over that three year period.

Perhaps you should measure yourself up against bookmaker odds to win the 2026 World Cup, since it is their business to make money by being accurate while other rankings are entirely results based to generate seedings. Bookmakers would drop odds on a declining team like Belgium while the rankings would keep them up there until they start having bad results.

Where do you place England?
Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

England because of their very good play at the World Cup and their brilliant post World Cup form will be ranked in 3rd. Same strength as Argentina but ranked one place behind them. In England's case (and also for some other teams) I won't weigh the Nations League heavily. That is of course if results and performances at the World Cup an/ or in the EURO qualifiers were good to very good. A nation like Wales on the other hand who had a bad Nations League campaign + bad performance at the World Cup and bad start to the EURO qualifiers will see itself much lower ranked than in FIFA and ELO. I tend to punish teams very hard who repeatedly fail to live up to their ranking.

I personally think that Wales are finished. My ranking will reflect that. As for Poland I think they are in a short-term hole. So they will be still somewhat decently ranked. Same with Mexico who won the Gold Cup in style. I was very down particularly on these three teams. Two of them give me reason to keep them at a respectable place.
Jackson Harrison

Kamtedrejt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:30

England because of their very good play at the World Cup and their brilliant post World Cup form will be ranked in 3rd. Same strength as Argentina but ranked one place behind them. In England's case (and also for some other teams) I won't weigh the Nations League heavily. That is of course if results and performances at the World Cup an/ or in the EURO qualifiers were good to very good. A nation like Wales on the other hand who had a bad Nations League campaign + bad performance at the World Cup and bad start to the EURO qualifiers will see itself much lower ranked than in FIFA and ELO. I tend to punish teams very hard who repeatedly fail to live up to their ranking.

I personally think that Wales are finished. My ranking will reflect that. As for Poland I think they are in a short-term hole. So they will be still somewhat decently ranked. Same with Mexico who won the Gold Cup in style. I was very down particularly on these three teams. Two of them give me reason to keep them at a respectable place.
Wales are dead without Bale. I reckon he'll come back one day!

Who do you have top? If not Argentina it has to be Morocco, Croatia or France for me!
Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:40

Who do you have top? If not Argentina it has to be Morocco, Croatia or France for me!
France will be ranked first.
Jackson Harrison

Kamtedrejt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:47

Why? You call a R16 Euro and a WC final in 3 years better than a CA and a WC win!
Kamtedrejt

Post by Kamtedrejt »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:54
Kamtedrejt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 21:47

Why? You call a R16 Euro and a WC final in 3 years better than a CA and a WC win!
World Cup win was not convincing as I pointed out earlier needing TWO penalty shoot-outs and also a couple of penalty calls who were borderline to say the least. Also lost the opener to Saudi Arabia. At the Copa America the competition you face isn't as stiff anymore as it was in the 2010s when CONMEBOL saw strong generations of Chile, Uruguay and Colombia. All these nations have fallen off. The Copa America has become a two man race lately. Out of the last six Copa America finalists only Peru crept in as a side not named Brazil or Argentina. The competition used to be more of a higher overall level thus more unpredictable.

Reasons for France putting first:

Lost the final only on pens. That is technically a draw.

They won all their post World Cup fixtures and smashed the Netherlands 4-0.

They won also a Nations League not too long ago. In October 2021.

I claim they would have won the World Cup more often than Argentina had it been played a 100 times.
Jackson Harrison

Here is my revised top 100 list:

I gave each country a score out of 100 taking into account performances at recent World Cups and Continental Tournaments.

Code: Select all

Rank	FIFA	Rating/100
1	ARG	99
2	BRA	97
3	ENG	95
4	CRO	93
5	FRA	92
6	MAR	90
7	ESP	79
8	SEN	78
9	POR	77
10	JPN	75
11	GHA	75
12	AUS	72
13	KOR	70
14	ECU	70
15	URU	69
16	KSA	67
17	SRB	67
18	NED	65
19	TUN	65
20	HUN	65
21	MEX	63
22	SUI	62
23	USA	62
24	IRN	62
25	GER	60
26	CAN	60
27	EGY	60
28	NGA	60
29	KAZ	59
30	ITA	58
31	PAN	58
32	PER	58
33	ALG	58
34	CHI	57
35	UKR	57
36	DEN	56
37	GAM	55
38	JAM	55
39	COL	55
40	POL	55
41	RSA	52
42	CIV	52
43	CRC	52
44	LUX	52
45	CZE	52
46	QAT	50
47	SWE	50
48	UZB	49
49	SLV	49
50	TUR	49
51	UAE	48
52	ARM	48
53	ISR	48
54	CHN	47
55	JOR	47
56	IRQ	47
57	GUA	47
58	PAR	47
59	BEL	46
60	GRE	46
61	BHR	45
62	VIE	45
63	SYR	45
64	EQG	45
65	WAL	45
66	FIN	45
67	AUT	45
68	KUW	44
69	SCO	44
70	NOR	44
71	HON	43
72	SVK	43
73	HKG	42
74	OMA	42
75	COD	42
76	HAI	42
77	PRK	40
78	IND	40
79	PLE	40
80	BFA	40
81	NCA	40
82	IRL	40
83	MKD	40
84	NZL	39
85	NIR	39
86	BUL	39
87	COM	38
88	GAB	37
89	SDN	35
90	ZAM	35
91	MLI	35
92	GUI	35
93	GEO	35
94	GNB	34
95	BIH 	33
96	ROU	32
97	UGA	31
98	ZIM	30
99	SVN	29
100	MTN	27
I will update the list after each FIFA window.