2023-24 Europa League: Group Stage

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
amenina

2023-24 Europa League: Group Stage

Post by amenina »

Full draw procedure: https://editorial.uefa.com//resources/0 ... cedure.pdf

The 2023/24 UEFA Europa League group stage draw takes place at the Grimaldi Forum, Monaco, on Friday 1 September and will be streamed live from 13:00 CET.

Group stage

Time: 13:00 hours CET
Number of clubs involved: 32
Number of matches: 96 (16 matches per matchday, i.e. 2 matches per group, on 6 matchdays in total)
Matchdays: 21 September 2023, 5 October 2023, 26 October 2023, 9 November 2023, 30 November 2023, 14 December 2023
Kick-off times: 18:45 or 21:00 CET

Purpose and conditions of the draw
The purpose of the group stage draw is to divide the 32 clubs into 8 groups of 4 teams. The groups will be lettered A to H.

The conditions to be observed are as follows:

• Clubs from the same association must not be drawn in the same group.

• In the case of associations with two representatives, these clubs will be paired so that their matches kick off at different times.

In the case of associations with three representatives, only two clubs will be paired.

In the case of associations with one representative in the UEFA Europa League group stage and one representative in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage, these clubs will also be paired so that their matches kick off at different times.

In the case of associations with one representative in the UEFA Europa League group stage and three representatives in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage, the unpaired UEFA Europa Conference League club will be paired with the club in the UEFA Europa League group stage.

In the case of associations with three representatives in the UEFA Europa League group stage and one representative in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage, the unpaired UEFA Europa League club will be paired with the club in the UEFA Europa Conference League group stage.

All these pairings will be based on TV audiences.

• In principle, each team will play three matches at 18:45 CET and three matches at 21:00 CET.

• Each club plays one home and one away match against each other club in its group. A club does not play more than two home or two away matches in a row and each club plays one home match and one away match on the first two and last two matchdays. Clubs' first leg matches should be completed before MD4.

• Clubs from Nordic countries will be scheduled away on matchday 6. A maximum of two clubs per group will therefore have venues that are exposed to severe winter conditions and/or cannot guarantee facilities fit for use in severe weather conditions.

Draw explanations
For the group stage draw, the 32 clubs involved are seeded in four pots of eight teams, in accordance with the following principles.

The first pot comprises the UEFA Europa Conference League titleholder (West Ham United FC) and the top seven clubs in the club coefficient rankings, the second group the next eight clubs in the rankings, and so on for Pots 3 and 4.

To ensure that paired clubs from the same association kick off at different times, as per the aforementioned pairing principles, the eight groups will be distinguished by colour: groups A to D will be red and groups E to H blue.

When a paired club is allocated, for example, to a red group (A, B, C or D), the other paired club – once it has been drawn – will automatically be assigned to one of the four blue groups (E, F, G or H).

Red group matches will not be played at the same time as blue group matches.

Draw procedure
A ball is drawn at random from Pot 1 and is opened to display the name of the team drawn.

This team is placed in the first available group in alphabetical order from A to H as indicated by the computer.

This procedure is then repeated for all the remaining clubs in Pot 1.

For example, if the team drawn has all group options from A to H available, it will be automatically allocated to Group A. If the team drawn has three options available, from E to G for example, it will be automatically allocated to Group E. If the team drawn has two options available, C or H for example, it will be automatically allocated to Group C, and so on.

Please note that the options available to a team depend not only on the team's own attributes and those of the clubs already drawn, but also on the attributes of the other clubs still to be drawn. This is enabled by computer calculations, which are needed to anticipate all possible scenarios and prevent any deadlock situations.

When all the clubs in Pot 1 have been drawn at random and allocated to the various groups, the procedure is repeated for the clubs in Pots 2, 3 and 4, in that order.

The draw result and full fixture list (matchdays 1 to 6) will be available on Saturday, 2 September by 12.00 CET at the latest.

Additional information
A video will be shown prior to the draw explaining the key principles of the draw.

Pots and pairings
Pot 1
West Ham United FC (ENG) – pairing A
Liverpool FC (ENG) – A
AS Roma (ITA) – B
AFC Ajax (NED) – UECL C
Villarreal CF (ESP) – D
Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) – E
Atalanta BC (ITA) – B
Rangers FC (SCO) – UECL F

Pot 2
Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)
SK Slavia Praha (CZE) – G
Stade Rennais FC (FRA) – H
Olympiacos FC (GRE) – I
Real Betis Balompié (ESP) – D
LASK (AUT) – J
Olympique de Marseille (FRA) – H
Qarabağ FK (AZE)

Pot 3
Molde FK (NOR) – UECL K
Brighton & Hove Albion (ENG) – UECL L
FC Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) – UECL M
SC Freiburg (GER) – E
AC Sparta Praha (CZE) – G
Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) – UECL N
SK Sturm Graz (AUT) – J

Pot 4
Toulouse FC (FRA) – UECL O
AEK Athens FC (GRE) – UECL P
FK TSC Bačka Topola (SRB) – UECL Q
Servette FC (SUI) – UECL R
Panathinaikos FC (GRE) – I
Raków Czestochowa (POL) – UECL S
Aris Limassol (CYP)
BK Häcken (SWE)
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

Groupings a bit more condensed:

West Ham United FC (ENG) - Liverpool FC (ENG) – A
AS Roma (ITA) – Atalanta BC (ITA) – B
AFC Ajax (NED) – AZ Alkmaar (NED) UECL C
Villarreal CF (ESP) – Real Betis Balompié (ESP) – D
Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) – SC Freiburg (GER) – E
Rangers FC (SCO) – Aberdeen FC (SCO) – UECL F
SK Slavia Praha (CZE) – AC Sparta Praha (CZE) – G
Stade Rennais FC (FRA) – Olympique de Marseille (FRA) H
Olympiacos FC (GRE) – Panathinaikos FC (GRE) – I
LASK (AUT) – SK Sturm Graz (AUT) – J
Molde FK (NOR) – FK Bodø/Glimt (NOR) UECL K
Brighton & Hove Albion (ENG) – Aston Villa FC (ENG) UECL L
R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL) – Club Brugge (BEL) UECL M
Maccabi Haifa FC (ISR) – Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR) UECL N
Toulouse FC (FRA) – LOSC Lille (FRA) UECL O
AEK Athens FC (GRE) – PAOK FC (GRE) UECL P
FK TSC Bačka Topola (SRB) – FK Čukarički (SRB) UECL Q
Servette FC (SUI) – FC Lugano (SUI) UECL R
Raków Czestochowa (POL) – Legia Warszawa (POL) UECL S
og2002gr

Post by og2002gr »

From strongest to weakest:

Pot 1
Liverpool (ENG)
Villarreal (ESP)
West Ham (ENG)
Bayer Leverkusen (GER)

Roma (ITA)
Atalanta (ITA)

Ajax (NED)
Rangers (SCO)

Pot 2
Real Betis (ESP)
Marseille (FRA)

Sporting CP (POR)
Slavia Praha (CZE)
Olympiacos (GRE)

Stade Rennais (FRA)
LASK (AUT)
Qarabağ (AZE)

Pot 3
Freiburg (GER)
Brighton (ENG)

Sparta Praha (CZE)
R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL)
Maccabi Haifa (ISR)

Sturm Graz (AUT)
Molde (NOR)
Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)

Pot 4
Panathinaikos (GRE)
Raków Czestochowa (POL)
AEK Athens (GRE)

Servette (SUI)
Aris Limassol (CYP)
Toulouse (FRA)

Häcken (SWE)
Bačka Topola (SRB)

Group of Death
Liverpool (ENG)
Betis (ESP)
Freiburg (GER)
AEK Athens (GRE)

Average Group
Roma (ITA)
Slavia Praha (CZE)
R. Union Saint-Gilloise (BEL)
Servette (SUI)

Group of Life
Rangers (SCO)
Qarabağ (AZE)
Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
Häcken (SWE)
fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues

http://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewtop ... 52#p359852
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

For Olympiacos:

- Avoid Brighton at all costs. Even Freiburg (again) or Union Saint Gilloise would be acceptable for me, they are good teams and Olympiacos might end 3rd in the UECL with them as Pot 3 opponents, but they would bring a decent points tally and UECL is not the end of the world. But I will be really annoyed if Olympiacos draws a very good Premier League team from Pot 3. Something similar happened when they were Pot 1 and drew Betis and Milan...
- Ideal would be Rangers from Pot 1, I'm not saying no to West Ham either (guaranteed to avoid Brighton this way). From Pot 4, I wouldn't like Rakow (no brand name thus everyone in Greece thinks they're like Cukaricki), ideal would be of course Backa Topola.

For Panathinaikos and AEK:

- At least one "small league" opponent from Pot 2 or Pot 3. The ideal is Sheriff, but there is also Qarabag, Molde, Sparta, Slavia, LASK, Maccabi Haifa, Sturm Graz. The minimum Greece asks from the draw is that Panathinaikos and AEK have a realistic shot for 3rd place.
- If either of them gets 2 beatable opponents, even better. Rangers is a team they will both want from Pot 1.

@og2002gr I do not think Rennes is worse than Marseille. Smaller name yes, but they are rich, ambitious and have a more "winner" mentality than Marseille in Europe (the last one is not difficult).

This is a crucial draw for Greece, since the next season with only 4 clubs in Europe and 2 of them in ECL Qualifiers, having 4 clubs in Groups will be significantlly more difficult.
og2002gr

Post by og2002gr »

Marseille is a traditional team and I think they will push more after their CL disappointment.
Freiburg has already their last season experience and success, that is why I count them over Brighton, who is a newbie and might not weight their european participation correctly.

For PAO-AEK there is the minimum of having at least one "green" team from Pot2 or 3.
Olympiacos will avoid best teams of Pot4, so they can afford less favorable draws.

Good or bad draws, my only wish is to see new teams and new opponents.
Not again Marseille, Slavia, Freiburg, Maccabi Haifa etc.
Give us Rangers, USG, Rennais, Molde, Servette etc.
fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues :arrow: fewer spots :arrow: weaker leagues

http://kassiesa.net/uefa/forum2/viewtop ... 52#p359852
Glasgow Central

Post by Glasgow Central »

og2002gr wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:32 Group of Life
Rangers (SCO)
Qarabağ (AZE)
Sheriff Tiraspol (MDA)
Häcken (SWE)
As a Rangers fan I'd be delighted with that 😄
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

My mock draw:
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
TrL

Post by TrL »

As a Liverpool fan planning to travel to the away ties, I'd like Betis or Sporting from Pot 2, Freiburg from Pot 3 and Aris Limassol or Toulouse from Pot 4. Not the easiest ties, but places and stadiums I'd like to visit.

From a planning point of view, it's been a bit of a nightmare because so many clubs are not playing at their home stadiums. I still don't know whether Sheriff Tiraspol will be allowed to play in Transnistria, and if they do, will away fans be allowed to travel? (given that the UK travel advice is not to go to Transnistria).

I think I'm right in saying that TSC Backa Topola have been given dispensation to play at their 4500 capacity stadium? And that Rakow are playing group games in Sosnowiec. Servette, Union Saint-Gilloise and maybe AEK are also playing at stadiums that are not their own, but are in the same city so not a problem when plotting potential travel routes.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

TrL wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:08 Servette, Union Saint-Gilloise and maybe AEK are also playing at stadiums that are not their own, but are in the same city so not a problem when plotting potential travel routes.
ΑΕΚ is playing in their own stadium.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

Firnen wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:51 For Olympiacos:

- Avoid Brighton at all costs. Even Freiburg (again) or Union Saint Gilloise would be acceptable for me, they are good teams and Olympiacos might end 3rd in the UECL with them as Pot 3 opponents, but they would bring a decent points tally and UECL is not the end of the world.
Freiburg it is again, plus West Ham from pot 1. I think Olympiacos got stronger compared to previous season, but I hope it's manageable again for Freiburg to advance. The 4th team is Topola, probably the easiest one in pot 4.
shikabalas

Post by shikabalas »

Olympiakos almost guaranteed 3rd place, good.
AEK wanted a CL group and it seems they got it, what a horrible draw.. Chances for 15th place are diminshing.
shikabalas

Post by shikabalas »

And Panathinaikos also gets the hardest of the three remaining groups..
matt

Post by matt »

What a group for Roma :rollfloor:
International break hater
shikabalas

Post by shikabalas »

Laughable groups for Roma and Leverksusen, almost Conference-like