2023-24 Europa League: Group Stage

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
THEPOSH

Post by THEPOSH »

Not good for Greece. Norway lucky as always.
HugoBenfica12

Post by HugoBenfica12 »

Sporting got an not that bad group
shikabalas

Post by shikabalas »

Czechia guaranteed a place in top 15 after this draw. Greece the opposite.
naaba

Post by naaba »

Firnen

Post by Firnen »

I like the draw for Olympiacos: they start with 6 points a guaranteed UECL spot (since Backa Topola is in the Group) and if they're very good, they can make top 2, if not, well a 3rd place with 8-9 points is not something bad against an English a German club.

Panathinaikos had an average draw given they were in Pot 4, I think they have their chances for 3rd against Maccabi Haifa, anything more will be a big success for the Greens.

AEK will probably finish 4th and are in danger of heavy defeats in my view, they face 2 lethal teams in attack (Ajax and Brighton) and you've all seen that AEK's defense is really really shaky.

Czechia got a laughably good draw, especially Slavia. Czechia big favourites for Top 15 right now. Norway is also smiling, Molde will get points in this Group.

Backa will probably 0-0-6 thus start counting Serbia in the battle for 15th if you didn't already.
Last edited by Firnen on Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
zender

Post by zender »

Group B and group E are going to be the most interesting to watch.
Both are challenging groups where all have a chance to pass through to the next round.
bjkman1903

Post by bjkman1903 »

Czech got lucky, now they are favorites for top 15.

Greece not so much (Olympiacos secured 3rd place but Pana would need to overcome Maccabi Haifa. AEK is doomed.)

Terrible for Austria (LASK with Liverpool, Toulouse & Union SG / Sturm with Atalanta, Sporting & Rakow)
Black Eagles 1903
Lubomir25

Post by Lubomir25 »

zender wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:39 Group B and group E are going to be the most interesting to watch.
Both are challenging groups where all have a chance to pass through to the next round.
AEK don't have any chance of getting out that group
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

shikabalas wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:35 Laughable groups for Roma and Leverksusen, almost Conference-like
Yes. It feels nice to have finally the same luck in one draw like the Italians almost every time. :grin1: Qarabag, Molde and Häcken shouldn't be a problem. To be honest, I see Leverkusen stronger than Dortmund and would like to switch both teams, so Leverkusen in this difficult CL group.

Also satisfied with Freiburg's group, one attractive opponent from England, one more or less easy one with Backa Topola and Olympiacos again.

Very hard group for the two Austrians. At least for Sturm Graz it should be the ECL, it's a fight against Rakow. LASK probably 4th behind Liverpool, Union SG and Toulouse, but 3rd place not impossible.
Polak

Post by Polak »

First glance

Group A looks interesting. West Ham should win it and the rest fight for 2nd and 3rd.

Group B the group of death

Group C also difficult. Aris handed a hard first European group

Rakow can fight for 3rd with Sturm Graz in Group D.

Ironically the teams in Liverpool's group E should be happy, as they've all got a decent shot at 2nd and 3rd.

Group F looks hard. If Villarreal take is seriously, which they should, they are likely to be 1st. The others can fight for 2nd and 3rd.

Nice draw for Roma and Slavia Prague in Group G. They should be top 2, with the other 2 fighting for 3rd.

Group H similar to group G, Bayer Leverkusen and Qarabag should be top 2, with a fight between Molde and Hacken for 3rd place.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

bjkman1903 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:40 Czech got lucky, now they are favorites for top 15.
Norway favorites as well with that draw. Terrible draw for Maccabi Haifa with Panathanaikos as 4th pot team, Villarreal and Rennais
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

Didn't we establish that because of the tv groupings and the way the teams from bigger countries are moved to group E for example, the groups at the end are almost always the easiest.

IIRC, Basel. Slovan, Pyunik, Zalgiris was also the final group in ECL
Last edited by OlliWender on Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Lubomir25 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:41
zender wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:39 Group B and group E are going to be the most interesting to watch.
Don't underestimate Marseille's bottling tradition.
Although I agree that AEK will probably be 4th.
BurningStorm

Post by BurningStorm »

So in the EL it's still the same system, they draw a team and put them in the next group possible. If that would still be the case in the CL, Dortmund would have gotten Feyenoord from pot 1 instead of this group of death with PSG.
zender

Post by zender »

Lubomir25 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 13:41
I don't know, I am not up to date anymore on things as before but isn't it only the 4th place team that gets eliminated from European football?
Tell me if I am wrong then I get to understand more again :D