2023/2024 EL Group D: Atalanta - Sporting CP - Sturm - Raków

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
bugylibicska

Post by bugylibicska »

Dragonite wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:16 Image

Congratulations Sporting! :up:

They already secured the second place, not because they won in Italy, but because Sturm lost at home against Raków.
bugylibicska wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 19:51Atalanta will make it, but Sporting must avoid losing at home to Sturm Graz.
Sporting can lose the home match against Sturm now, but it's preferable if they win it, 8 points from a maximum of 15 is already disappointing enough, they shouldn't make it worse. :sigh:
Polak wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 16:55Either way Rakow are set to finish bottom of the group. The only thing they can hope for now is to try and pick up a point or two in their remaining games for their financial gain and the Polish coefficient.
Maybe Raków won't be last placed after all.

Sturm was always last placed in each of its previous 4 EL participations, and Polish EL debutants were never last placed. :umnik:
You've quoted me what I've written after the 4th round. It's obvious now that after Sturm lost to Rakow in Graz, Sporting are 2nd even if they lose their last game.
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Firnen wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 19:42 Prediction

1. Sporting
2. Atalanta
3. Rakow
4. Sturm Graz
Another poor one, Atalanta 1st and Sturm 3rd.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

Congratulations Atalanta! :applause:

They started in Poland with five players that hadn't been used yet this season: Zortea, Bonifanti, Del Lungo, Adopo and Carnesecchi. Another three hadn't started a match yet: Pasalic, Aleksei Miranchuk and Holm. And then all the used subs hadn't been used this season yet too: Rossi, Palestra, De Nipoti, Mendicino and Cisse.

Only three starters weren't starting a match for the first time this season: Muriel, De Ketelaere and Hateboer.

Raków was probably confident that they could defeat "this Atalanta". Yet not only they couldn't, Atalanta actually got the biggest win in its EL history, alongside a 5-1 win against Everton in 2017.

The truth is that these players are still better than Raków's players, so it doesn't really matter if they use these or others, Atalanta still wins comfortably.

Congratulations Sturm for getting the third place! :up:

It's the first time in over two decades that they overwinter, last time that they did it was already in 2000/2001, when they reached the CL second round group stage.
Dragonite wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:09 Prediction:
1. Atalanta
2. Sporting
3. Sturm
4. Raków
Accurate prediction here.
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
Polak

Post by Polak »

Initial prediction
Looks like a fairly simple 1st and 2nd in this one. I expect Atalanta to win the group. A fight for a place in the Conference League between Rakow and Sturm and I think and hope that Rakow can take it. I also hope Rakow play their games at their own stadium. Do any of the Polish users know if that is confirmed? They have won every home European game so far at their ground.

1. Atalanta
2. Sporting
3. Rakow
4. Sturm
Actual table
1. Atalanta
2. Sporting
3. Sturm
4. Rakow
Top 2 were as predicted. I hoped Rakow could finish above Sturm Graz but they lost out on goal difference. Their last group game performance against a mostly reserve Atlanta team already guaranteed 1st was shameful, although to be honest both Sturm Graz and Rakow were pitiful compared to the other 2 in this group.