New Formats Post 2024-

including formats, draws, seedings, etc.
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

Teymur wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 15:50
TommyChat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 14:53 So new max points are 48 for UCL, 40 for EL and 32 for ECL.
No, for CL 52 point.
You forget 4 bonus points for CL League praise.
I don't see any mention of the extra 4 points in the regulations, and with all teams garanteed 6 points in CL, the 4 points are gone.
amenina

Post by amenina »

CL regulations 29.03
"If a club is disqualified or for any reason withdraws from the competition before all its matches in the league phase have been played, the results of all its matches played until that moment remain valid. A calculation of points will need to take place upon completion of the league phase to take the cancelled matches into account. Any club that has not been able to play its scheduled match against a disqualified/withdrawn club is awarded the average number of points earned by all clubs in its same seeding pot against the clubs in the same pot as that disqualified/withdrawn club in home matches, if the affected club was due to play at home, or in away matches if the affected club was due to play away. The league phase points of all matches that have been played, including the points obtained by clubs in matches involving the disqualified/withdrawn club before their disqualification/withdrawal are not adjusted in any way, and all taken into account for the average points calculation."

Interesting, although quite unlikely to be used.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

TommyChat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 14:53 So new max points are 48 for UCL, 40 for EL and 32 for ECL.
No, for CL 52 point.
They became 6 points and they are added on the list of CL bonus points were the 36th gets 6 points.
amirbachar

Post by amirbachar »

amenina wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 16:09 CL regulations 29.03
"If a club is disqualified or for any reason withdraws from the competition before all its matches in the league phase have been played, the results of all its matches played until that moment remain valid. A calculation of points will need to take place upon completion of the league phase to take the cancelled matches into account. Any club that has not been able to play its scheduled match against a disqualified/withdrawn club is awarded the average number of points earned by all clubs in its same seeding pot against the clubs in the same pot as that disqualified/withdrawn club in home matches, if the affected club was due to play at home, or in away matches if the affected club was due to play away. The league phase points of all matches that have been played, including the points obtained by clubs in matches involving the disqualified/withdrawn club before their disqualification/withdrawal are not adjusted in any way, and all taken into account for the average points calculation."

Interesting, and also sounds fair to be honest. That is actually the only place where a higher pot actually gives an advantage now (other than financial), in case a team withdraws in the middle of the League Phase
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Juliusz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:38
Tie breakers in the league phase:
Glad to see that g & h are included.

I would have liked to see them as a & b, but Didn’t expect that to happen.
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

TommyChat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 17:38
No, for CL 52 point.
They became 6 points and they are added on the list of CL bonus points were the 36th gets 6 points.
Indeed, this will be the new table at my site:

UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

amenina wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 16:09 CL regulations 29.03

1) this is very likely to lead to teams have faction of a point
2) teams will remain in limbo until late in the season (the final home/away game between all teams in their pot with all teams in the other team’s pot). I don’t think it can lead to shenanigans, but it will not look good.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

bert.kassies wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 21:10

No, for CL 52 point.

I don’t think that teams 9 and bellow can get the full winning points (+16,+16,+12). There might be a way for more than 8 teams to win all 8 games, but I doubt it can be much higher.
bert.kassies

Post by bert.kassies »

Sagy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 21:18
bert.kassies wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 21:10

I don’t think that teams 9 and bellow can get the full winning points (+16,+16,+12). There might be a way for more than 8 teams to win all 8 games, but I doubt it can be much higher.
Correct. This table is in two minds :wink1:
UEFA European Cup Football for all UEFA coefficients and rankings
eye

Post by eye »

I just the read regulations and it I more confused than before. Why can't they write them clearly? Anyway here is what I understood.

1) CL. Rebalancing based on coefficients when the CL-W and/or EL-W qualified domestically and the ones that gets the spots are replaced also based on coefficients. The only difference in the procedure is if the spot is LP spot then all clubs from qualifying of CH path are taking part at CL-W replacement and all clubs of both paths without leapfrogging are taking part at EL-W replacement while when the replacement is at the qualifying rounds only the clubs of previous round taking part no matter if they are replacing directly the CL-W or EL-W or not. For the rest cases rebalancing is based on country ranking.
Eg Benfica gets the spot of EL-W (assuming EL-W qualified directly to CL-LP) since currently has the highest coefficient from clubs than can replace EL-W. Since Benfica is taking part at Q3nc then Benfica will be replaced from the club with the highest coefficient of Q2nc Slavia Prague. Although now we need one less club at Q2nc so Sturm Graz is getting the spot since Austria is next in country ranking. That's what I understood. I still didn't understand if the rebalancing based on country ranking due to Russia's ban will be done before or after all the process with CL-W and EL-W

2) At EL we have rebalancing based on coefficients of ECL-W the same way it happens at CL even when ECL-W is at CL. The difference is that clubs of Q2 doesn't take part at this rebalancing but a club from Q1 will be promoted directly to Q3. If CL-W and/or EL-W qualified to EL or ECL then we will have rebalancing based on country ranking. Also the clubs of Q2 are taking part at the rebalancing based on country ranking and as I understood cup winners from ECL will be promoted to EL even if they didn't write it clearly

3) At ECL the rebalancing will remain as it is currently based on country rankings.

Few more interesting points I noticed

1) Unless I missed it there is no limit at clubs from same country at CL.
2) The EPS are placed in access list after the rebalancing. This creates different outcomes. Eg if Portugal was at top2 of season then Sporting would be at LP as CH, Benfica also at LP replacing EL-W so the third in league Porto would qualify at LP getting the EPS. If Benfica was above Sporting then Benfica would have been at LP as CH, Sporting has not high enough coefficient to replace EL-W so would remain at Q3nc and using EPS would be at LP but Porto would replace Sporting at Q3nc. It is also funny that Porto has currently same coefficient with Benfica but doesn't get the spot since they aren't taking part at rebalancing.
3) A club can face only 2 opponents from same country at LP.
4) There will be seeded and unseeded clubs based on coefficients at CP of EL and ECL.
5) The coefficient system is similar to the one I had proposed long time ago. I think it is fair although I would prefer the gap between CL and EL not to be so high.

That's my understanding and my thoughts.
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

So am I understanding correctly that if, for example, Fiorentina wins the Conference League this season and also occupies the ECL spot in Serie A, then the team behind them in the League will inherit Italy's ECL spot and granting them an extra team?
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

OlliWender wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:29 So am I understanding correctly that if, for example, Fiorentina wins the Conference League this season and also occupies the ECL spot in Serie A, then the team behind them in the League will inherit Italy's ECL spot and granting them an extra team?

No.
UECL 3.08
The UEFA Conference League titleholder is admitted to the league phase of the UEFA Europa League. If the UEFA Conference League titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Conference League through one of its domestic competitions, the number of places to which its association is entitled in the UEFA Conference League is decreased by one. The created vacancy is filled accordingly with priority for the UEFA Conference League given to the domestic cup winner(s) (or the club replacing it if it qualifies for the UEFA Champions League).
OlliWender

Post by OlliWender »

Thanks. So in the end they didn't invent a new rule to prevent another Villarreal case like Bert was speculating at some point.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

If I understood the regulations correctly, Ajax should no longer be at the top of the provisional ECL-W rebalancing ranking on this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =632987334, because they are not in the position of the Cup winner nor the highest ranked league club in case the Cup is won by a club participating in CL (Feyenoord)?
Overgame

Post by Overgame »

nogomet wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:16 If I understood the regulations correctly, Ajax should no longer be at the top of the provisional ECL-W rebalancing ranking on this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =632987334, because they are not in the position of the Cup winner nor the highest ranked league club in case the Cup is won by a club participating in CL (Feyenoord)?
No:
The vacancy created in the league phase is filled by the club with the highest individual club coefficient of all the clubs that qualify for the main path or play-offs of the competition, provided that the club is either the domestic cup winner or the highest domestically ranked club from its association that has not already qualified for the league phase of the competition directly;

NL Nr3 is qualified for the LP, Ajax would be the the highest domestically ranked club from NL that has not already qualified for the league phase of the competition directly