Blue Card

Anything football. NO POLITICS please.

Do you support the introduction of blue cards?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 15, 2024 20:33

Yes
29%
No
71%
Don't know
No votes

Total votes: 14

Jackson Harrison

Blue Card

Post by Jackson Harrison »

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/ ... l-sin-bins

Please post a reason for your vote if you have time!
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

Teams will try to waste as much time as possible while they have the numerical disadvantage.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

I’m in favor, but it needs to come together with a “rundown” clock (30x2 halfs clock running only when ball is in play) and a mandatory 5 min “observation” period if a player requires a trainer on the pitch due to injury (player can be subbed immediately).
Jackson Harrison

Tazmania wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 21:32 Teams will try to waste as much time as possible while they have the numerical disadvantage.
So if a player goes down injured for 10 mins will that be counted as the 10 mins?
Dniprovec

Post by Dniprovec »

Adding more complexity and subjectivity to the rules will only create more controversy and more post match talk: "why yellow, not blue", "why blue, not red" etc.

I can see some benefits, but negatives outweight it by so much more.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 22:03
Tazmania wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 21:32 Teams will try to waste as much time as possible while they have the numerical disadvantage.
So if a player goes down injured for 10 mins will that be counted as the 10 mins?
If you follow my suggestions then a team that tries to pull this will end up down 2 players and still face the full 10 min.

As for “subjectivity”, the game is already full of subjectivity from “trifling” to handball, to pass back, to infractions not being called in the box vs outside the box, to…

In my view, giving the CR discretion is a positive, not a negative. I must also add that not holding CR’s feet to the fire after repeated bad calls is a huge negative.
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

For me the negatives aspects of this change largely outcomes the postive ones, so its a clear no.

More complexity, more controversy, more errors and unfair/unequal decisions by the referees, more time with 11vs10 which is far from great

The positive aspects if I understand correctly was to give an harder punishment to a tatical foul? Why is that so important? What the great benefit of that? Tatical fouls aren't the problem. Lack of fair play, time wasting and hard fouls are, and I don't see the blue card being a solution for this.

I would easily support fix time for each half, or a rule like I think there is in futsal or handball that the clock stops only in the last minutes of each half.
offside

Post by offside »

Tazmania wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 21:32Teams will try to waste as much time as possible while they have the numerical disadvantage.
True. Also, what happens if a goalkeeper gets a blue card?
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

Great question because you cannot play without a goalkeeper (Law 3 of the Laws of the Game(.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

It absolutely has to be ten minutes of real time if implemented or teams will just bleed the game to death for ten minutes. Even so, you know teams will just shut the door for ten minutes if circumstances allow them to. These things work better in things like ice hockey where it's a big disadvantage with such low numbers of players, so much so that your standard foul is only 2 minutes out, or rugby where you need to cover so much space so losing a man is a meaningful disadvantage and you can't really play more defensive because of the nature of the game you're already playing as defensive as you can if you're on defence.

What if you actually took the goalkeeper off, no matter who has the blue card. Perhaps not for as long as ten minutes. Deep defence wouldn't be desirable when you can take shots at an empty net. But you'd still have the same number of outfield players so you could still compete equally there. Attack would be the best form of defence for the blue card team.
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 16:30 It absolutely has to be ten minutes of real time if implemented or teams will just bleed the game to death for ten minutes. Even so, you know teams will just shut the door for ten minutes if circumstances allow them to. These things work better in things like ice hockey where it's a big disadvantage with such low numbers of players, so much so that your standard foul is only 2 minutes out, or rugby where you need to cover so much space so losing a man is a meaningful disadvantage and you can't really play more defensive because of the nature of the game you're already playing as defensive as you can if you're on defence.

What if you actually took the goalkeeper off, no matter who has the blue card. Perhaps not for as long as ten minutes. Deep defence wouldn't be desirable when you can take shots at an empty net. But you'd still have the same number of outfield players so you could still compete equally there. Attack would be the best form of defence for the blue card team.
You can't play without a goalkeeper.

But how would you measure 10 minutes of 'real time'? The 4th official times it and stops the clock every time the ball goes out or there is a foul and then lets the player back on similar to the 30 second injury rule?
offside

Post by offside »

Lorric wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 16:30What if you actually took the goalkeeper off, no matter who has the blue card.
So, are you proposing to punish a player for the bad behavior of another player?

Also, more in general, yellow and red cards work great, and there is not need to fix what isn't broke.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

offside wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 17:27
Lorric wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 16:30What if you actually took the goalkeeper off, no matter who has the blue card.
So, are you proposing to punish a player for the bad behavior of another player?

Also, more in general, yellow and red cards work great, and there is not need to fix what isn't broke.
Just wondering if it's better. The card would go on the record of the offending player.

But no, I currently would stick with things as they are. But will be interested in the trial result.
Jackson Harrison

Lorric wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 21:05
offside wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 17:27

Just wondering if it's better. The card would go on the record of the offending player.

But no, I currently would stick with things as they are. But will be interested in the trial result.
Apparently trialed in FA Cup and Women's FA Cup next season!
rpo.castro

Post by rpo.castro »

Tazmania wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 16:05 Great question because you cannot play without a goalkeeper (Law 3 of the Laws of the Game(.
The GK gets outs, another player gets out and sub GK would get in. At the end of 10 minutes the field player gets in and GK can be changed back.

But this is another clue why this idea has more cons than pros.
You already have yellow and reds. Just use it.
After the blue they will ask for a pink for a 30 min ban? And a grey for just 5?