2023/2024 Conference League Round of 16

Champions League, Europa League, Conference League
mspm89

Post by mspm89 »

emortal wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 22:39 All decided except the game in Serbia.
You guys are kind of rubbing salt on the wound of Serbian fans by reminding them of their horrible season in spite of matches still being played on their territory. :lol:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

I could not watch anything today being on a trip.

I cannot believe the results I am seeing!

I could have never imagined or hoped that what happened tonight could happen!
Juliusz

Post by Juliusz »

Second legs attendances

Aston Villa - Ajax 37,916
Fenerbahçe - Union SG 35,605
PAOK - Dinamo Zagreb 19,701
Lille - Sturm Graz 17,888
Club Brugge - Molde 11,858
Viktoria Plzeň - Servette 11,225
Fiorentina - Maccabi Haifa 6,838
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Olympiacos 370
naaba

Post by naaba »

Weak Fenerbahçe at home, Union could have scored 2 more goals (at least : ball saved on the goal line, mistake by the Turkish goalkeeper that Union should have transformed into a goal, and 2-3 other chances) and got a penalty (defender didn't touch the ball). Even last week the Turkish side was only more clinical (3 shots - 3 goals, 0 corner against 12), and not the "best team by far".

Brugge losing in Molde was an abnormality corrected at home. I hope their national results will push them at trying to win the Conference League. Realistically they are too far to make top 2 (Champions League spots) and winning Conference League would give them direct EL-GS spot, instead of starting in qualifiers of either EL or ECL.
seso

Post by seso »

Great results in EL and ECL for Liverpool, AS Roma, West Ham, Atalanta, AC Milan, Aston Villa, Club Brugge, PAOK and Oly! Very interesting UEFA Country Ranking with Greece having 2 clubs remaining, below England, Italy, Spain, Germany and France!
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

R24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 23:33 Worst game I've seen from Maccabi in my lifetime. What a disaster :sigh:
I don't remember the last time Dinamo conceded 5 or more goals. :degsmile: I think it was the last time either in the CL against Real or Lyon 10+ years ago. But it is not their worst game this season, nor is it so unexpected. They've been playing like that for the whole season, every couple of games, some hard despair. It is no coincidence that they are only third in the HNL. Congratulations again to PAOK, who made good use of all the holes in Dinamo's team and tactics. I think this is the second Dinamo coach this season who will be fired after the defeat in Greece. :D :mol:
Firnen

Post by Firnen »

Lorric wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 23:22 Where's @Firnen? Greek glory in this competition tonight, did he give these teams up for dead and not watch? :mrgreen:
:grin1: :grin1: :grin1:
On a trip to your home country :grin1:
I don't mind not watching more often if that's what happens!
seso

Post by seso »

What a season by Aston Villa! 4th/5th in the Premier League and in the ECL QFs! Matty Cash doing wonders!
emortal

Post by emortal »

babaluj1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:22 I don't remember the last time Dinamo conceded 5 or more goals. :degsmile: I think it was the last time either in the CL against Real or Lyon 10+ years ago. But it is not their worst game this season, nor is it so unexpected. They've been playing like that for the whole season, every couple of games, some hard despair. It is no coincidence that they are only third in the HNL. Congratulations again to PAOK, who made good use of all the holes in Dinamo's team and tactics. I think this is the second Dinamo coach this season who will be fired after the defeat in Greece. :D :mol:
PAOK also smashed Lokomotiva Zagreb (6-0) back in the 2015/6 ELQ2.

Furthermore, the Thessaloniki team beat Hajduk this season (ECLQ3), Rijeka two years ago (ECLPO) and Dinamo again in the EL group (2010/1).

Overall record is 6W-2D-2L, only qualifications 🤷‍♂️
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Boo. Hard draw, Lille and first leg at home.
matt

Post by matt »

Almost a bracket of non top five countries teams, but the Aston Villa - Lille pair didn't get Viktoria Plzen - Fiorentina.
International break hater
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

And home first again vs Olympiakos or Fenerbahce. Bad draw overall.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Probably be Fenerbahce if reach the semis. They're 2nd in Turkey, but they and Galatasaray have been treating the league like Rangers and Celtic treat Scotland. In fact, they've actually been more dominant over their league than Rangers and Celtic have theirs this season. Which is astonishing.
babaluj1

Post by babaluj1 »

emortal wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 13:57
babaluj1 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 08:22 I don't remember the last time Dinamo conceded 5 or more goals. :degsmile: I think it was the last time either in the CL against Real or Lyon 10+ years ago. But it is not their worst game this season, nor is it so unexpected. They've been playing like that for the whole season, every couple of games, some hard despair. It is no coincidence that they are only third in the HNL. Congratulations again to PAOK, who made good use of all the holes in Dinamo's team and tactics. I think this is the second Dinamo coach this season who will be fired after the defeat in Greece. :D :mol:
PAOK also smashed Lokomotiva Zagreb (6-0) back in the 2015/6 ELQ2.

Furthermore, the Thessaloniki team beat Hajduk this season (ECLQ3), Rijeka two years ago (ECLPO) and Dinamo again in the EL group (2010/1).

Overall record is 6W-2D-2L, only qualifications 🤷‍♂️
Dinamo was strong for the last 5 years from 2018/19 to 2022/23, unfortunately they did not meet Greek clubs. Rijeka was strong in 2016/17 when they won the championship, but they immediately sold the entire team because they were in a financial crisis. Today, Rijeka is great again, but it is questionable how they will be next season and how many players they will sell. Hajduk has been seriously and constantly strengthening for the last 2 years and could take over a dominant role in the HNL in the future. It all depends on who will take the title this year. :D
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Ricardo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 22:21
Lorric wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 21:36 Well I didn't see what happened with Watkins and the keeper earlier, but his injury has proven too much to continue and he's had to be subbed out.
Well try to find it and see if this isn’t more than yellow….
Surprisingly it's omitted, both from our official highlights and Ajax's highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YM-w_fvqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plUFGddGE1U

If you still want me to look, I will if you can find it, but this makes me think it wasn't a red.