Top 5 UEFA leagues standing

Domestic league and cup football
Sagy

Top 5 UEFA leagues standing

Post by Sagy »

A different way to view the standing in the top 5 UEFA leagues

Please let me know if you notice any errors or have suggestions for improvements.
SimonB

Post by SimonB »

This is an interesting way to look at it. I haven't checked it for errors but I have a couple of comments to make.

As you show at the top of the table the total number of matches is different in the last two leagues so to show it again using ppg (points per game) might better show the relative performance although actual points looks more pleasing to see the other way might show things better in a relative sense.

At some point in the season the domestic cup winner (winners in the case of England) will become relevant in determining the Europa League/ Conference league qualifying positions. The other thing that will be relevant starting this season will be which two countries finish in the top of the current year for country coefficient because these two will be granted an extra place in the CL. Perhaps the current top 2 could be used as a predictor until such time as we know the real answer? It is also possible that the EL/ECL winners will affect the places too as well as the small chance that the top coefficient club could come into play too.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

@SimonB thanks for the comments.

Not sure how to deal with PPG, maybe I’ll add marking to highlight the 1 and 2 PPG level for each league so that there is some visual reference.

As fas as Domestic Cup winners, once they are known. I’ll highlight them in the EL color. If they are in a CL or EL league position, another team from the league will be colored. In all cases the cup winner with be identified.

If a league gets an extra position due to country top 2 or winning a UEFA trophy, I’ll color the additional teams as needed in the league ladder.

Will these address the comments?
offside

Post by offside »

To see the image I have to right-click on the text "image" and then "open image in a new tab", but this is perhaps a problem of my browser.

About the idea of having a global view, I would add other interesting leagues, if this is not too much work for you: Portugal, Netherlands and Belgium.

If you keep this updated, I will likely check it out weekly.
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

offside wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 22:52 To see the image I have to right-click on the text "image" and then "open image in a new tab", but this is perhaps a problem of my browser.

About the idea of having a global view, I would add other interesting leagues, if this is not too much work for you: Portugal, Netherlands and Belgium.

If you keep this updated, I will likely check it out weekly.
Belgian league format make it hard to put in such a table.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

updated version

If the image doesn't show, I also posted it on X
TommyChat

Post by TommyChat »

In Italy I think Verona and Sassuolo would play a tiebreaker game if the season ended now. There is one if 16th and 17th finish level on points, but I don't know what happens in 3-way ties. (I eliminated Cagliari as they have both the worst h2h record until now and the worst GD)
offside

Post by offside »

TommyChat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 23:39Belgian league format make it hard to put in such a table.
True. Then forget about Belgium.
TommyChat wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 00:09In Italy I think Verona and Sassuolo would play a tiebreaker game if the season ended now. There is one if 16th and 17th finish level on points, but I don't know what happens in 3-way ties. (I eliminated Cagliari as they have both the worst h2h record until now and the worst GD)
In a three way tie with 2 clubs to be relegated, you first calculate the points made by the three clubs against each other, then the worst club is relegated, then the other two play a tiebreaker match.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Thanks for all the comments.

Adding additional leagues that are single table, double round robin format is not too much work. I just need a reliable source that keeps the table updated as soon as games end. The rest is fairly automated. The big concern is the width of the ladder. I’m happy to try to add leagues if we can agree on which ones and have a reliable source.

As far as tie-breakers. I’m going to take the chicken way out. If teams are tied on points, I’m going to color all of them and add an indicator that a tie-breaker is required.
offside

Post by offside »

Sagy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 04:01I’m happy to try to add leagues if we can agree on which ones and have a reliable source.
You could use the same sources Bert uses for the qualification table: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/qual2023.html

About which leagues to add, with all the respect for other countries, I would add Portuguese Primeira Liga and Eredivisie of Netherlands.
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

offside wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 05:25
Sagy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 04:01I’m happy to try to add leagues if we can agree on which ones and have a reliable source.
You could use the same sources Bert uses for the qualification table: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/qual2023.html

About which leagues to add, with all the respect for other countries, I would add Portuguese Primeira Liga and Eredivisie of Netherlands.
Thanks.

I’ll add both for next week.

Hardest part will be to figure which color to us for the Eredivisie UECL playoff teams 😉.
Jackson Harrison

Post by Jackson Harrison »

Sagy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 18:50 A different way to view the standing in the top 5 UEFA leagues

Please let me know if you notice any errors or have suggestions for improvements.
Don’t forget some leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Serie A) play 38 games and others (Bundesliga, Ligue 1) play 38 therefore their points totals will be lower.
Lyonnais

Post by Lyonnais »

This is a very interesting idea Sagy :up:
Don't forget to post your predictions for the new season
viewtopic.php?p=563580#p563580
Sagy

Post by Sagy »

Jackson Harrison wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:57
Sagy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 18:50 A different way to view the standing in the top 5 UEFA leagues

Don’t forget some leagues (Premier League, La Liga, Serie A) play 38 games and others (Bundesliga, Ligue 1) play 38 therefore their points totals will be lower.
Yes, number of games (total and played so far) can be different. I added a PPG indicator on the ladder and also plan on adding PPG for the first and last place teams.
Dniprovec

Post by Dniprovec »

Something similar exists here