2024 Toulon Tournament

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lorric

2024 Toulon Tournament

Post by Lorric »

European teams return to the tournament in Italy and Ukraine, but sadly, no England. :(

Could have replicated the top of our Euro 2024 qualifying group if England were here too.

UEFA - 3
AFC - 3
CONCACAF - 2 (both last year's finalists return)
CAF - 2

Pictures and everything, just like @amenina. :grin1:

Entry is free for the group stage if anyone happens to be in the area then. :smile1:
amenina

Post by amenina »

Lorric wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 16, 2024 14:54 Pictures and everything, just like @amenina. :grin1:
Thank you! :tongue:

This will be the 50th edition of the tournament. It started in 1967, but the first edition was for club teams. After a break between 1968-1973, it was held yearly since 1974 (except 2020-2021 due to COVID), and since 1975, the tournament has been mostly limited to national teams.

France are the team with the most titles, with 13, followed by Brazil with 9 and England with 7.
amenina

Post by amenina »

https://twitter.com/TournoiMRevello/sta ... 8866035729

Replacing the Egyptian squad, which have withdrawn from the 50th Maurice Revello Tournament, we are delighted to welcome...

๐—œ๐—ก๐——๐—ข๐—ก๐—˜๐—ฆ๐—œ๐—” ! ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฉ

@PSSI team will compete at the Tournament for the 3rd time !

Lorric

Post by Lorric »

I'd love to know what selection for this tournament involves.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Lorric wrote: โ†‘Fri May 10, 2024 23:05 I'd love to know what selection for this tournament involves.
You mean the overall lineup, or just Indonesia as the new entry?

The organizers were looking for a last-minute replacement, I don't think they can be too choosey.

Also, the Indonesia U-23 were just in Paris this week to play the Olympic play-off, so I guess their FA officials were also there, so might as well ask them in person whether they want to play. And Indonesia have been showing good results in Asia lately, so it is an interesting addition.

In general I think it is good to have a variety of teams from different continents and regions to play against each other, and have new countries playing in each edition. It gets boring to play the same teams again and again, and teams from the same continent already play against each other in their own confederation competitions.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

amenina wrote: โ†‘Sat May 11, 2024 14:53
Lorric wrote: โ†‘Fri May 10, 2024 23:05 I'd love to know what selection for this tournament involves.

The organizers were looking for a last-minute replacement, I don't think they can be too choosey.

Also, the Indonesia U-23 were just in Paris this week to play the Olympic play-off, so I guess their FA officials were also there, so might as well ask them in person whether they want to play. And Indonesia have been showing good results in Asia lately, so it is an interesting addition.

In general I think it is good to have a variety of teams from different continents and regions to play against each other, and have new countries playing in each edition. It gets boring to play the same teams again and again, and teams from the same continent already play against each other in their own confederation competitions.
Everyone.
amenina

Post by amenina »

Lorric wrote: โ†‘Sat May 11, 2024 14:59
amenina wrote: โ†‘Sat May 11, 2024 14:53

Everyone.
It is an invitation tournament, so I doubt the organizers will tell exactly why a country is invited for any particular edition. But probably just like when organizing any friendly competition involving multiple teams, they would have a preliminary list of "targets", and then check which team is interested or not. And then they would try to have some "repeat" teams and some "new" teams, and also have a balanced lineup of different continents.