Teams you wanna return to highest divisions

Domestic league and cup football
Executor

Post by Executor »

Regarding the Romanian teams:

Although Petrolul Ploieşti has been in my heart for more than a decade, I'm still not convinced I'd like to see them back in the 1st League. The reason is their stadium. It's very poor and this is why they play in another town for the time being (Moreni, which is in another county!). And there are no plans for consolidating it. The city of Ploieşti does have a good stadium, with floodlights, the one of ASTRA (which changed name to CSM Ploieşti and plays in Liga III), but it doesn't seem right for Petrolul to play on their rival's ground, even though the rivalry isn't that great. It's just not natural. Plus, the football they play is not that great.

I can understand why FC Braşov is wanted in Liga I (recent investments, relatively important team, big city), but FC Argeş, Jiul or FCM Bacău? OK, Argeş did win the championship sometime before I was born :), but what did the other 2 do to deserve this appreciation? For me this trio is just a guarentee for boring matches.

The only teams I would really like to see back are Sportul Studenţesc and Progresul (ex-FC Naţional), even though they have less fans combined than the population of a small village. It's their style that I miss the most.

From other countries: Shelbourne (I still can't believe how the Irish FA relegated them), Southampton, Bastia, Hapoel Haifa.
Last edited by Executor on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Edgar

Post by Edgar »

Giuseppe wrote:
Edgar wrote: ASA Targu Mures - I think the team no longer exists - it was moved to Ungheni or something like that.
The last time I heard ASA Tg. Mures had been renamed Maris Tg. Mures; what has happened to this team I don't know; on www.romaniansoccer.ro it's listed under 'Other' :?:
There's a team in C6 "ASA Unirea Ungheni".
Cosmin_ultraSteaua

Post by Cosmin_ultraSteaua »

Executor wrote:Regarding the Romanian teams:

Although Petrolul Ploieşti has been in my heart for more than a decade, I'm still not convinced I'd like to see them back in the 1st League. The reason is their stadium. It's very poor and this is why they play in another town for the time being (Moreni, which is in another county!). And there are no plans for consolidating it. The city of Ploieşti does have a good stadium, with floodlights, the one of ASTRA (which changed name to CSM Ploieşti and plays in Liga III), but it doesn't seem right for Petrolul to play on their rival's ground, even though the rivalry isn't that great. It's just not natural. Plus, the football they play is not that great.

I can understand why FC Braşov is wanted in Liga I (recent investments, relatively important team, big city), but FC Argeş, Jiul or FCM Bacău? OK, Argeş did win the championship sometime before I was born :), but what did the other 2 to deserve this appreciation? For me this trio is just a guarentee for boring matches.

The only teams I would really like to see back are Sportul Studenţesc and Progresul (ex-FC Naţional), even though they have less fans combined than the population of a small village. It's their style that I miss the most.

From other countries: Shelbourne (I still can't believe how the Irish FA relegated them), Southampton, Bastia, Hapoel Haifa.
That would mean 5 Bucharest teams in Liga 1. That is a bit much.

FC Arges also played some good football at the end of the 90s.
"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
bbi

Post by bbi »

executor

of course the teams in second second are weak. but by wanting them in the first league we wish that this teams would be stronger and deserve to be in the first league. most of them are teams with a lot of history that have a lot of fans even now when theire are in second league
FORZA STEAUA! FORZA MILAN!
gukfva

Post by gukfva »

Spain - CELTA, R. SOCIEDAD, Real Oviedo
England - LEEDS, Nottingham Forest
Italy - BOLOGNA, Perugia, Hellas Verona
France - NANTES, Bastia, Reims, Montpellier
Germany - BORUSSIA M., TSV 1860, Koln, Kaiserslautern, Fortuna Dusseldorf, St Pauli, Dynamo Dresden
Belgium - Royal Antwerp, Beveren
Czech Rep. - Dukla
Hungary - FERENCVAROS
Romania - Arges Pitesti, National B.
Russia - TORPEDO
Turkey - Altay Izmir
Serbia - Obilic
Austria - Tirol Innsbruck, GAK
Switzerland - Servette
Scotland - Dundee FC
Ireland - Shelbourne
Slovakia - Inter B.
Poland - Slask, GKS Katowice, Pogon, Polonia
Slovenia - Olimpia L.
Philipp

Post by Philipp »

gukfva wrote:Spain - CELTA, R. SOCIEDAD, Real Oviedo
Austria - Tirol Innsbruck, GAK
Tirol Innsbruck already returned under its historical name "FC Wacker Innsbruck".

they are playing in a very nice stadium where also matches of the EURO will take place:

saras21

Post by saras21 »

Israel: Hapoel Haifa, Hapoel Beer Sheva.
Nobody Fucks with Maccabi in the Yad :D
AlanK
Location: Salem, Oregon and Barcelona, Spain; occasionally Lisboa

Post by AlanK »

To Philipp:

When I returned to Spain in the fall of 1970 after a very much undesired year's stay in Vietnam, the first international game Real Madrid played in the Recopa (Cup Winners' Cup) was against . . . Wacker Innsbruck. I had a class and got to the nearest bar late; I asked what the score was and the reply was 1-0. "Only one?" I asked--Real was supposed to apply a severe beating to Wacker. Imagine my shock when it developed that WACKER was up 0-1. Ah, that wise old proverb, "You have to PLAY the games . . ." The game ended 0-1, but the story ended happily for me, as Real won 0-2 in Austria to move to the next round and head for the final the following May (?) against Chelsea--which they lost after a replay of the final.

So I enjoyed reading your post, Philipp--brings back memories of long ago; good luck to Wacker and may they play Real again in the future!
Executor

Post by Executor »

Good news for those who do not wish to see more teams from Bucharest in 1st League. Progresul Bucharest will be shut down. The owner of the stadium, the National Bank of Romania (BNR - who was also their sponsor at some point, triggering the nickname of "Bankmen" for the team) decided to evacuate them from the ground because of unpayed debts (100.000 or 300.000 euro depending on the source). The president of BNR states that "the club has exhausted its financial resources and will be closed". The really bad new starts from here: BNR intends to demolish the otherwise beautiful stadium and build a residential complex. That would be a total waste.

Why clubs that play/played good football out of pleasure always have problems with money? I really like this club. I still recall the days, some 10 years ago, when they almost won the championship....

I'm very disappointed with BNR. A bank like that couldn't afford 1 million euro per year to invest in the team?

Here are some pictures of the Cotroceni stadium.

Cosmin_ultraSteaua

Executor, if the guys at Dinamo are smart they would make a bid to get this stadium witch is much better the that pit they are playing in. Also the location is much better.
"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I'd like the Ricardo team to stay in the highest league of the Lyonnais game. :lol:
Executor

Post by Executor »

Cosmin_ultraSteaua wrote:Executor, if the guys at Dinamo are smart they would make a bid to get this stadium witch is much better the that pit they are playing in. Also the location is much better.
1. I don't think their fans would agree.
2. With the money spent on acquiring Cotroceni, they could upgrade their stadium, just as CFR Cluj did.
Cosmin_ultraSteaua

Executor wrote:
Cosmin_ultraSteaua wrote:Executor, if the guys at Dinamo are smart they would make a bid to get this stadium witch is much better the that pit they are playing in. Also the location is much better.
1. I don't think their fans would agree.
2. With the money spent on acquiring Cotroceni, they could upgrade their stadium, just as CFR Cluj did.
1. Teams change their stadiums. I'm sure a lot of fans would understand this.
2.They can't. The stadium is owned by the MAI. Plus it's badly designed.
apw

Post by apw »

Thunder_PT

Post by Thunder_PT »

In Portugal, I'd like to see my town's team FC Famalicão back to the top league. They were there 6 seasons and have victorys against Porto and Benfica on their record, but never achieved a position in the first half of the table.

I'd also like to see teams like Santa Clara, Farense and Salgueiros back. Santa Clara because it's the biggest team from Azores and it would be nice for the azorians to have a team representing them. They would certainly fill their stadium more often then most of the current Superliga teams. Farense and Salgueiros because of their rich history. They were a lot of seasons on the first division, they've been both in Europe and had players like Deco (Salgueiros, now at Barcelona), Vaz Te (Farense, now at Bolton), Bruno Alves (Farense, now at FC Porto) and Nélson (Salgueiros, now at Benfica).

About other countrys:

Spain: Celta de Vigo, Tenerife, Rayo Vallecano, Málaga, Sp. Gijon and Real Sociedad
England: Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Norwich City and Sheffield Wednesday
Italy: Bologna, Perugia and Vicenza
Germany: Kaiserslautern and B. Mönchengladbach
France: Nantes
Russia: Rotor Volograd
Belguim: Antwerp FC
Czech Republic: Hradek Kralove
Hungary: Ferencvaros
Poland: GKS Katowice