2021 U21 Euro - Hungary and Slovenia

Euro 2024, World Cup 2026, etc.
Lorric

2021 U21 Euro - Hungary and Slovenia

Post by Lorric »

Like the women's Euro, Hungary and Slovenia were the only bid. This leaves me disappointed, we've never hosted this tournament and surely we would have been a lock for this if we'd bid for it. Massive missed opportunity.

While technically the coming Euro is the first co-hosted U21 Euro, in reality this one will be with both hosts taking automatic places. Winning your group will be imperative to qualify, as just two runners up will make a playoff for a single place.

It won't be long before we learn the qualifying groups, the draw is on the 11th December.
Tazmania

Post by Tazmania »

Draw tomorrow streamed live on uefa.com at 0900 CET.
nogomet

Post by nogomet »

U21 EURO 2021 qualifiers:
Croatia
Czechia
Greece

Scotland
Lithuania
San Marino

U21 EURO 2019 qualifiers:
Croatia
Czechia
Greece

Belarus
Moldova
San Marino

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't mind it, but still... :shock:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

That seems like a middle of the road draw for England.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Groups 5 and 8 are seemingly very open.

Israel got an okay group. Not the strongest opponents from the lower pots (except Kazakhstan), but Spain is maybe the toughest opponent for us. The first place is out of the question, and I don't expect us to be one of the two best second placed teams, because we'll lose points to the lower placed teams, so we will miss the playoffs.
My best hopes is to finish in the 2nd place and to keep the 2nd pot status.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

EarlofBug wrote:Groups 5 and 8 are seemingly very open.

Israel got an okay group. Not the strongest opponents from the lower pots (except Kazakhstan), but Spain is maybe the toughest opponent for us. The first place is out of the question, and I don't expect us to be one of the two best second placed teams, because we'll lose points to the lower placed teams, so we will miss the playoffs.
Your group is the one I'd cherry pick for England if I could.

Groups 1, 7 and 9 look like good groups to perhaps produce playoff teams. Maybe group 2 as well.
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Lorric wrote:

Groups 1, 7 and 9 look like good groups to perhaps produce playoff teams. Maybe group 2 as well.
Your group might also produce a playoff team, if Turkey or Austria annihilate the other lower pots teams. Also in group 7, if Portugal and Netherlands will take all the points from the others.
I don't think that 9 will produce a playoff team, as Belgium and Wales will probably take points off each other.
Dragonite

Post by Dragonite »

EarlofBug wrote:
Lorric wrote:

Your group might also produce a playoff team, if Turkey or Austria annihilate the other lower pots teams. Also in group 7, if Portugal and Netherlands will take all the points from the others.
I don't think that 9 will produce a playoff team, as Belgium and Wales will probably take points off each other.
It’s funny how you guys talk about teams…
Let’s take Norway’s example.
This 2021 under 21 Euro will be for players born in 1998 or after.
Norway’s ’99 generation has just qualified for next year’s under 20 World Cup, eliminating “names” like title holder England, and before the likes of Germany and Holland.

Despite this, “intuitively”, people still consider them worthless and unable to get a single point from… Holland! :roll:
Records and Statistics:
:arrow: Champions League (all 141 participants - 1992/1993 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: Europa League (all 215 participants - 2009/2010 to 2019/2020)
:arrow: UEFA Youth League (all 162 participants - 2013/2014 to 2019/2020)
EarlofBug

Post by EarlofBug »

Dragonite wrote:
EarlofBug wrote:
Lorric wrote: Your group is the one I'd cherry pick for England if I could.

Norway’s ’99 generation has just qualified for next year’s under 20 World Cup, eliminating “names” like title holder England, and before the likes of Germany and Holland.

Despite this, “intuitively”, people still consider them worthless and unable to get a single point from… Holland! :roll:
I do think that Norway can give a fight to Holland, and even pass them. I wrote "if", as you see :)
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Dragonite wrote:
EarlofBug wrote:
Lorric wrote: Your group is the one I'd cherry pick for England if I could.

Very good point. I remember England getting dropped 3-0 by Norway in the World Cup playoff.
Kroezero

Post by Kroezero »

UEFA decided to make it a 16 team final tournament. Probably the best runner-up will qualify automaticaly and the other 8 will play-off for the remaining 4 places.
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

Kroezero wrote:UEFA decided to make it a 16 team final tournament. Probably the best runner-up will qualify automaticaly and the other 8 will play-off for the remaining 4 places.
Great news! I guess that means win your group or go home though, would be even better if we could have quarter finals.
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

I had a curiosity: but even in the past the qualifications for a European U21 started before the previous edition was played :?:

you must play Euro 2019 and the Qualifs already start at Euro 21

edit:
yes, just checked :mrgreen:
Lorric

Post by Lorric »

angel_87 wrote:I had a curiosity: but even in the past the qualifications for a European U21 started before the previous edition was played :?:

edit:
If you've qualified though, you don't have to qualify for the next tournament until you're done with the current one.

Our first game is away to Turkey, and for the Turks, that will be their fourth game!
angel_87

Post by angel_87 »

Lorric wrote:
angel_87 wrote:I had a curiosity: but even in the past the qualifications for a European U21 started before the previous edition was played :?:

edit:
If you've qualified though, you don't have to qualify for the next tournament until you're done with the current one.

Our first game is away to Turkey, and for the Turks, that will be their fourth game!
true, I just didn't notice ... in fact Italy (which will play European next June) starts qualifying in September 2019
:up: